Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone have any experience of these schools?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sadie25

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: anyone have any experience of these schools? Reply with quote

i'd be grateful of any comments, either here or by PM.

Stevens English Training, Essen

Go Language, Heilbronn

Logos, N�rnberg

thanks

Sadie
butterbrot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: schools Reply with quote

Yes. Avoid Logos and Stevens.
Sadie25

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks for your reply, ironically Logos are looking for an English Trainer (again!).
butterbrot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure to help other teachers avoid bad situations. Other teachers have related some experiences of theirs here in Germany and I pass those on as well.

Good rule of thumb: either avoid completely or apply to any school which advertises frequently for teachers with a huge amount of scepticism. There are usually reasons for this which would prevent any aware teacher from applying.
butterbrot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem with forums like these is that they accept advertising from schools which are not reputable or which teachers have had problems with. So, the information doesn't get out because (apparently) Dave doesn't want the advertisers offended.

A friend of mine just wrote me about a new organization starting up in Germany called EFLTA. They've got an E-List and a website. My friend told me that they plan to work for better conditions, pay and they may be willing to start up something to help teachers avoid bad schools. You can find their E-List on yahoogroups here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/efltu/ and their website is http://www.eflta.org

Anyone teaching a language in Germany or anyone who wishes to teach language in Germany should join this group. It's free for now. Their website says they plan to expand into other countries but, for now, it seems only for Germany.
Sadie25

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logos in N�rnberg look for a new teacher approx. every three months, so by the law of averages someone on here must have worked for them. Come on guys, don't be shy.
Showem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butterbrot,

The European Foreign Language Teachers' Association (EFLTA) is open to EVERYONE. Admittedly, it has started in Germany and English teachers in Germany are the core members, but there people from Spain, Poland and further afield as well.

The organisation is very new, about 2 months old, so there isn't very much right now other than a plan. But I've found it useful for practical advice as well.

If you are more interested in English teaching in Germany (all aspects, not just improving conditions), join the Germany-English mail group. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/germany-english/ I'm one of the moderators of that group, so I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.
Joker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: 2 out of 3 is bad Reply with quote

You would do well to avoid any operation that has a high turnover rate. All of your choices pay the lowest rate in their respective areas. I personally checked out 2 of these operations and was impressed by their smooth delivery and appearance - until I realized the pittance they wanted to pay for my teaching services. Applicant beware! Twisted Evil
butterbrot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: EFLTA gone? Reply with quote

The EFLTA thing appears to have folded. Anyone know why? The group is still around but as it's a private Yahoo email list group where one must register, I'm not interested. What happened to their website?
Showem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have changed their name. I kind of missed the whole debate of why, but here's the new website address: http://www.efltu.org/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: