Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I have no choice but to work in Italy illegally?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sayu80

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Do I have no choice but to work in Italy illegally? Reply with quote

I have a TESL certificate, a BA and one year teaching experience plus I"m a young and pretty female, but I only have a Canadian Passport.

Will it be impossible for me to get a job in Italy before I go?
If I go before getting a job then can I apply for a work visa in Italy?
If not, then how dangerous is it for me to just go and work illigally?

I really want to go there and learn about Italian culture and language. Will somebody please offer me some advice or support?
I can also speak Japanese, elementary Italiand and Punjabi. So I"m thinking I could at least get a job as a comessa or in a hotel.

un bacio,

Neetu
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look through some of the previous threads about working in Italy - you'll find the information you're looking for.

BTW, what's with the "I'm a young and pretty female"? Is advertising your good looks the only way you get work?
sayu80

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need to advertise my looks but I do want to advertise all my good points. As an English teacher looks are important for attracting customers. That's just reality. At least in Asia.
Gregorio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any work you get will be illegal, but there are a lot of Americans/Canadians/non-EU people working illegally in Italy. If you are that enthralled about the Italian culture and want to be legitimate, I would enroll in school and then obtain a student-work visa. You can work up to 20 hours a week and then not have to worry about the authorities. The only other way is to marry an Italian. Your good looks will come in handy there.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're that beautiful (!), you might be better off with modelling work. Far better rates of pay Wink)
SueH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could become a deck hand/stewardess on a yacht. Just looking yesterday and there was a short term summer post that paid far better than teaching. Hmmm.. maybe next summer to get some sea-miles for when I get my own boat... dream on.

That's set me thinking: I wonder what the teaching market is like in Livorno or La Spezia or Ostia (TIR?) - a second hand boat would be cheaper than the appartments that seem to be available, and no smaller than your average monolocale.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have PM'd you, Sue.
sayu80

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. I really want to go to Rome, maybe Padova or Flourence. I"m not really interested in working on a ship. I have thought about modelling, I don't know if I could, but I'll see.

I guess what I really have to do is just go there and apply for many many different kinds of jobs. It's just really scary, but I love people and learning about different cultures. I want to do something new and different, and meet many new people. Smile

What does PM'd mean?

Neetu
sayu80

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.... I just figured out what PM means. I haven't recieved any.

un bacio,

Neetu
sayu80

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I just go to Italy and apply for jobs, do you think I would be able to get one. Are people actually willing to hire people and pay them under the table? I will try my best to be legal, I' m very determined, but I also don't think I will be able to be legal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: