Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs in Jakarta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsbst18

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Jobs in Jakarta Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest the best way to find a NON-EF job in Jakarta?

Also, I was just wondering if anyone had the same experience I had. I had 2 schools that sent me a contract and seemed interested in hiring me. Then I told them that I did not need housing because I would live in my Indonesian fiancee's home. I have two ideas about the reason. 1) the school knew that they could not screw me over if I had a fiancee who is Indonesian or 2)the school thought that I would be too involved in my family to teach....

any ideas about either topics would be great....
Link H

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: another possibility Reply with quote

It could be that they didn't like the fact that you were living with your fiance and you aren't married yet.
rayman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner of the school also owns the housing. He/she would have had an empty room that needed filling. Had it not been filled he/she would lose that monthly portion of the rent. You were not willing to fill it. You are pushed to the side. The owner finds a new teacher happy to nestle within the spoken abode. He couldn't give a bush grub whether you and your fiancee are married.

Moral: It's all about the money mate

nb. Spoken from experience
ls650

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayman wrote:
The owner of the school also owns the housing. He/she would have had an empty room that needed filling. Had it not been filled he/she would lose that monthly portion of the rent. nb. Spoken from experience

Likely the owner of the school has a mortgage on the house, and the 'rent' the teachers pay go to pay the mortgage. The teachers not only make the owner a good income, they help him buy the house.

Too bad the original poster didn't take the housing for the first month, then move out after arriving...
psychedelic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Jobs in Jakarta Reply with quote

Hi rayman,
"bush grub." Smile I like that. "It's all about the money mate." Yep, straight up!
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: housing Reply with quote

to answer your housing question: if you opt out of teacher housing (and why wouldn't you? sharing with upto 5 complete strangers & their assorted boyfriends/girlfriends, cats & dogs etc - can you believe people buy pets for their one year contracts!!!) the school must pay you a monthly housing allowance - the allowance is much more than the rent for your multi-personed/animaled housing - simple economics.

regarding non-EF schools in jakarta? don't know as they never advertise, makes you wonder why everywhere you look on the web EF is jumping out at you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: