Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CONGOLESE EFL EXPEDITION
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riverman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: What gives? Reply with quote

I've read this and the other thread, and you guys sure had a good time at Jason's expense, stake through the heart and all. But I cannot figure out what invoked it....his request for Kinshasa info and his desire to go there to 'check it out' didn't seem so off the wall to me. I think you mostly took offense that he was not accepting your point of view that Congo is some sort of no-man's land, but as none of your posts sounded like any of you have any first-hand experience, I can see why he would not give it the same creedence as the first hand info he was seeking. And at least he is expressing a desire (whether or not it is real is another point, for sure) to find out what the reality is. Does he have an additional history on this forum that invoked that sophomoric reaction from you guys?

--riverman

Last edited by riverman on Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Check, please! Reply with quote

Read Jason's other postings and you'll understand.
Would that steak through the heart be rare, medium or well done?
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first hand experience of Africa is not recent, but I have worked there. That included a long spell in Northern Zambia, with visits to Mufulira and the Copperbelt passing through the Congo Pedicle.

Personally I hope Jason went there. He would not last a week.
riverman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I figured that he must have some sort of history on this forum.

But as far as Kinshasa goes, you guys are a bit off the mark. I'm in Kin now, and have been teaching here for three years. Despite the war in the east, and the occasional unrest in town, its not at all a no-man's land. I won't go so far as to say that its all milk and cookies, but there IS a trickling of tourists starting to come through, and there are a handful of interesting things to see and do. The streets are safe if you have a reasonable amount of street-smarts, and when there are riots, everyone knows about it well in advance and just stays home.

And someone who wanted to find work teaching English could probably land a job within a few days of arrival, as there is a big demand for teachers of English. The Congo-American Language Institute (CALI) teaches English language classes as well as SAT and TOEFL prep classes, and would probably be thrilled to have another instructor. Also, many of the NGOs hire locally for postions where english language skills are essential, although French or Lingala skills would also be required. But as far as just 'dropping in to see what its like'; that is very doable. There are guest houses and car rentals, and someone could get a very interesting and first-hand experience at a time that the city and country are rapidly deveoping, but still has that ragged edge.

--riverman
younggeorge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riverman: Good to hear something positive frst-hand. I did my time in Africa back in the late 70's in Liberia - got out when Samuel Doe took over - but I still take an interest and like to hear from folks that are there now. Thanks for the update.
riverman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your African experience, younggeorge, you know that it can be quite interesting, and suddenly overnight become a holy terror. But eventually the sun comes up and the countryside nervously gets back to 'normal'.

I've written some online travelogues for www.getlostmagazine.com about Congo. You can look in the contributor's index, or just google "Life in Congo". Parts 1-5 are out there in internetland.

--riverman
younggeorge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed, riverman. As a family man now, I need more security and money, otherwise I'd go back like a shot.

Thanks for the link: I'll look it up with interest.
guangho

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read your work on get lost's site. Very interesting stuff.
riverman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Guangho. Its nice to be appreciated.

--riverman
khmerhit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, I saw a film called Sin City last nite and one of the characteres reminded me of Jason. I wont say which one.

Now that Scot is in Qatar, is the expedition going ahead? Anyone?
guangho

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Riverman has the Congo on lockdown- I'm still pondering Swaziland, Senegal, Madagascar and Ghana- my friend just scored an NGO internship in Accra. I'm also going to get my CELTA just as soon as my current Korean employer screws me. Say Khmermit, which of those 59 Cambodian unis are reputable for post CELTA experience?
Yahnena

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: esl job in Kinshasa Reply with quote

riverman:
do you know of an institution that needs esl teachers (business/legal english).
i have lived in kinshasa before i was evacuated in 1997 (civil war) and now that i'm single again, would consider going back.
thanks and
cheers
cameron.mayo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: shut 'em up Reply with quote

Riverman, You shut up those other 2 knuckle-heads that were slagging Jason when you mentioned you were in Kin- not a peep outa them afta that! Good show old boy. So if Jason wants to go to Kin (for what ever reason) more power to him.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me ? A knuckle-head ? I prefer the term 'realist'.
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Bare knuckles Reply with quote

Ditto.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: