Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going to Gdl in July

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maggs187

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Going to Gdl in July Reply with quote

Hello Everyone

I am heading to Gdl in July to find out a bit of information to get a job. I will visit a few schools (for teaching positions) and attend the school I went to Tec de Monterrey to find out about getting a Masters etc.

Does anyone have a suggestion of where to stay hotel wise, or rent wise. My friend and I will be there for 3 days...do not feel like being in the centro...but do not want to pay the money for some fancy hotel with spa, pool etc.

we want something simple that serves it's purpose. I have been to Gdl 3 times previous...once for 4 mo straight...but have always stayed with people studying or living...now I have no where...and I need a bit of advice.

Is it possible to rent a room/apt for a few days so that I can do my research and have a bit of fun also!!
Wouter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

We have a school for spanish and english and it looks that one of our teachers is leaving in the end of June. If you are interested let me know.

Also we offer places to stay. We have homestays and also a family hotel. You can have a look for the prices on our website.

Also here some website addresses where you can look for an apartment.

http://www.mexplaza.com.mx
http://www.arkredi.com/
http://www.haushabitat.com.mx/
http://www.metroscubicos.com/pls/m3/dis.startup
http://www.bajasundog.com/Message.html

Also a good thing to do is look in the newspapers.

You can find the website address of our school on the bottom of this post.

Wouter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
maggs187

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Some questions Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick response.

I do have a few more questions. Where is the school Talaquepaque, Centro, or near another part of Gdl?

What information/degrees/certificates would I need to provide to to apply to the school that you mentioned?

Is the opportunity that you have kindly offered that easy to come across...or was it ironic that I wrote and your school is in need. The bad thing is at the moment I need to finish up a job I currently have ( I am locked in until Jan 15)....but I would not mind with my days in Gdl to obtain some info or go to the school for a look.

Is that possible?
Wouter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Our school is in Tlaquepaque Centro. Just 3 blocks from the center.

We would prefer people with experience and or a TESOL or TEFL but we give everybody a chance. Everybody has to give a demonstration class and this is how we choose our teachers.

We have at the moment an intern that will leave in the end of June. This means that we have 3 till 4 hours available every day.

If it doesnt work out for some reason you have a good chance of finding a job in GDL. We met several teachers searching for a job and all found a job within a month.

Wouter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
maggs187

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: On another note Reply with quote

You seem to know everything about Gdl...I have a few random questions.

I am not a teacher what so ever...no degree...have substituted around chicago area. Can I still have a chance?

As for me getting more of an education in Gdl..what school do you think is best..I am not so much talking about just a language school or a TEFL school but a masters program.

Lastly..how much can you trust the websites for apartment renting..or is it best to be there in Gdl..grad a newspaper and start from there.

Finally...my friend and I do not want to take a taxi...I do not like them. I would rather take a bus to our hotel (which is still tbd) but I like the area near to the Minerva..or Plaza de Sol...any help on that info????

thanks
reddevil79

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Buses

I am guessing you want to take a bus from the airport right? Every Tom, Dick and Harry will point you in the way of taxis, which although safe, are quite expensive. There is a bus that goes to the centre and stops at various locations. It cost 5 pesos last time I was in gdl. It should stop outside the terminal, but you might have to ask locals where to go exactly...
Wouter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

We give everybody a chance but we recommend to do a TESOL or TEFL first. This courses are really a big help if you want to teach english as an foreign langauge. You can do this in GDL with ITTO. I think the cost are about 1400 USD for a month. They promise to provide you with work if you are finished with the course.

There are several Unisversities in GDL. Depends what you want to do.

I've got no experience with the websites for apartments. What I would do is use them when you here. Look at the websites and visit the places. Also the newspaper is I think a cheaper option because there is often no middle man where i think the websites charges something.

Wouter
nothing180

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how much would this job pay at 3 to 4 hours a day of teaching hours?? Just out of curiosity. I'm also thinking of taking a TEFL course upon arriving in Mexico, but I'm skeptical about how easy it is to find a job that pays well enough to survive living on your own.
ls650

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it's relatively easy to find "subsistence level" work if you have a TEFL certificate. You should be able to find something that pays about 5000 pesos per month. In most areas, that's enough to rent a room or small, modest apartment and to buy groceries for home cooking. You won't be dining out a lot and won't save much - but it's a living.

If you want something better, you can use it to get some teaching experience on your resume. Think of the entry-level jobs as stepping stones to something better.
nothing180

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 500 seems like so little, but i wouldn't know really. i got a job paying 6000 pesos a month in mexico city but i talked to a few people living there that thought that would not be enough, so i guess it all depends on the area. so for a place like say, huatulco, whats a good wage to get by and have enough for a small apartment on your own, food and some travel by bus? or how about a place like puerta vallarta?
Wouter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defenitly is true that it depends on where you are the prices are higher or lower. In GDL i think it is between 5000 and 6000 pesos a month. Me and my colleague live from 5000 a month. We ofcourse live in a cheap apartment.

As a teacher it is hard to make a living. If you work 5 hours a day you will make 4500 pesos a month at our school. There are schools that pay better but also schools that pay worse. We simply cant afford to pay more at the moment as the school is hardly a year old and dont have enough students at the moment.

What we see is that our teachers teach as well at other schools or do private students or have some other income.

Wouter
maggs187

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Concrete decisions Reply with quote

Hello I arrived back from GDL today for a mini vacation and I now have made a decision of what I want to do, how much I will need to make and where I would like to live. So any help on the following is well appreciated.

I would have come to visit the school in Talaquepaque..but ran out of time from Thur-Sun

1. I would like to live near to Providencia...I like the area that things are close by and I like Av Patria

2. i went to Tec de Monterrey GDL-my wish would be to teach english at the high school or university level.

3. I do not want to live in Providencia and travel over 1 hr to centro or somewhere else.

4. I wish to not work in the centro area.

My qualifications are a BS degree in Nutrtion and Spanish nothing more. I was a sub teacher in private schools in chicago. I have no ESL certificate, TEFL etc but would pay the money to obtain the following requests.

Is this too demanding? Oh and my level of spanish is at least 80%

Let me know if I am dreaming......
Samantha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did it go when you visited the Tec de Monterrey, GDL Campus? Did they give you any insight to job possibilities?
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Language level percentage Reply with quote

maggs187 wrote:
Oh and my level of spanish is at least 80%.

What does a percentage mean when applied to level or ability in a language? I've never understood that, even though I've seen job ads in which employers ask for a percentage of ability in a certain language. How do people determine what percentage they have? Is there a test involved?
maggs187

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: % of spanish Reply with quote

Truthfully, I am not sure how the real % of Spanish is. But I studied it for 9 years and then and went and studied in Mexico, spent extended periods of time in Argentina.

I try to only listen to Spanish tv stations, from news, history, cnn, soccer etc. Also with all the music. I visit Mexico every 6 months or so...and have friends that I write and talk to only in spanish.

Obviously....I still need to learn and every time I am there I learn something new. But, if I learned sooo much 4 months abroad I think that by the end of 1 year that I would be set.

As for a test, maybe they do test..does anyone know? I also am going to retake some grammer classes here in Chicago for practice. And, Chicago is a great city to always be practicing anyways!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: