Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Before signing a teaching contract, what should I ask?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TanyaFromOregon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Before signing a teaching contract, what should I ask? Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I have just started sending my CV out to schools in Italy in search of a TESL position. I have received a cursory offer from one school in Naples, but all they have told me is that I would get 850 Euros (per month?) and I would teach 25 hours.

What sorts of questions should someone ask when searching for their very first teaching position?

I currently live in Oregon, and I do not have an Italian work visa.

I sent them the below questions on Fri., June 17th.

I do not currently have an Italian work visa, would you be able to help me obtain one?

For how many months would the contract be and what would the start date be?

Would all classes that I taught be at your school, or would I have to travel out to other sites?

What types of learners would I be teaching? How many different levels of classes would I be teaching? I'm hoping that at least a couple of the classes would be the same level so that lesson preparation would be shortened. Being a new teacher, preparation time is a little higher for me.

If I arrive in Naples in August or September, would it be possible for you to assist me in finding supplemental income (ie, one-to-one tutoring) until classes started? If this request is way beyond how you are able to assist me, please forgive my naeitivity.

Would you be able to provide me with assistance in finding a place to live?

Lastly, would it be possible for me to write a couple of the teachers at your school to find out more about their experiences teaching at your facility?

Thanks for taking the time to read this posting.

...Tanya
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tanya

There are a number of threads on this forum about Americans working in Italy. Bascially, it's going to be hard for you to work here legally if you have don't have EU citizenship. Not many (if any) schools are going to go through the long process of visa application (for which they have to offer you a full-time job ) when there are EU teachers here available to work.

If the school is in a real bind, I can imagine they will be more likely to help out, but I don't feel very positive about your chances.

As far as your other questions are concerned, the school may find it difficult to answer them. They may not know student levels, or whether lessons are off or on school premises. Some schools help with accommodation, but in many cities you would be expected to fend for yourself.

As an additional point, schools are less likely to be impressed with your request for similar levels to teach so you can cut down on lesson preparation time. Not having much experience will work against you.
TanyaFromOregon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Thanks for the input Reply with quote

Thanks, Teacher in Rome, for your input. Well, I do realize that not having much experience will work against me... but then, they certainly can tell that I have yet to teach English based on my CV. It's not a secret. But you're right, I suppose, there's no point in my additionally pointing the fact out when I write to the school. Duly noted.

What I was trying to find out is what should I be asking the schools once they contact me? Despite the glum picture painted in your response regarding obtaining a work visa, I will continue to ask about it, as I believe it is the right thing to do. What should I be taking into account when considering teaching for a school?

Thanks much!

...Tanya
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tanya

You could ask them about what sort of clients they have (typical student needs etc). You could also find out whether they use a particular course book.

Ask them whether there is any ongoing teacher training, or teacher support of any kind. You should also find out what they expect from you in terms of paperwork (what sort of lesson plans they would like you to fill out and so on).

Hope this helps!
TanyaFromOregon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

All very good questions, Teacher in Rome. Thank you very much!
...Tanya
John ELS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a work permit and you don't have any experience you should just get what you can without asking too many questions.
The most important thing to be sure of is whether they guarantee that monthly salary or number of hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: