Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Codice Fiscale and Work Visa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andreacanada

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Codice Fiscale and Work Visa Reply with quote

Hello all, very interesting discussion. I recently got a job at a Summer Camp in Italy, I got the impression from here and from my employer that they did not give out work visas for a job like that for 2-8 weeks. I am a Canadian citizen and therefore not legal to work in Italy, first I was not too worried about this since the Italian police are not very strict and they have more troublesom things to worry about, like illegal immigration and prostitution, not a little Canadian girl trying to become a teacher. I recently found out I need to get a Codice Fiscale, or tax code. But without a work visa wouldnt getting this code seem suspicious? Wouldnt they know I had a job illegally when taxes started to be taken from my salary? I am just wondering the risks of being caught in Italy without a work visa? Am I being paranoid? How much trouble can you get in? I am a little worried, can anyone help?
mikey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Codice Fiscale and Work Visa Reply with quote

check the older int'l country forums for info re codices, etc.
Gregorio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted about this previously, but if want anything from a bank account to a cell phone, which a lot of non-EU tourists have, you will be issued a codice fiscale upon presenting your passport. If you don't ever plan on becoming an Italian citizen you probably don't need to worry about looking suspicious.
Andreacanada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well eventually I hope to become a Italian citizen because my boyfriend of 5 years is Italian! Well if we are married they have to make me a citizen eventually dont they!
mikey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as others have said,check the older forums under "italy" for codice info. i wrote a few posts myself. basically, by law you can't get a codice without a visa/permit. but this is italy, so a lot is up to the whim of the clerk. catch them just before they want to duck out for a smoke and you might get lucky. if not, try another day, or another clerk, or another town. no guarantee tho as it's technically illegal ( as are countless other laws which are broken or bent on a regular basis).

can't you get some sort of temp residence permit via your bf, if he promises to help support you? some countries allow that. or just get married! it's been 5 years after all. Smile
Gregorio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A codice fiscale is nothing but a number based on your first and last name, your birth date, and the place you were born. There are actually Italian web sites that will compute your codice fiscale for no charge. I didn't know this until after I was issued the codice fiscale upon purchasing a cell phone. One day I was just surfing the web and stumbled upon these sites and put in my birth date, first and last name, and place of birth (Stati Uniti)... and there it was. The same number that I was issued a year previously in Italy. I don't think they care too much about these numbers because if they did I would hope there would some type of security system set up.... Italia!
SullyK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you remember the addresses of those websites?
Gregorio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://gratis.pietrelcinanet.com/codice_fiscale/codice.htm
John ELS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"they have more troublesom things to worry about, like illegal immigration"
If you stay in Italy for more than 3 months without a permesso di soggiorno then you will be considered an illegal immigrant. Having said that, since your boyfriend is Italian, then it should be easy for you to get one for "ragioni di famiglia". In any case, with or without, it's easy to get a codice fiscale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: