Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Renewing the ol� visa this weekend?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cordilleranevada

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Renewing the ol� visa this weekend? Reply with quote

SO, my 90 days are up, which of course means I will be headed to Mendoza this long weekend, just like I did 3 months ago, except, this time I have to go by myself. And I have exactly no clue what I am going to do in Mendoza by myself. Surely I am not the only gringo headed that way this weekend? Or at least the only one who has had to make the trip solo? So, if someone else has gone by themselves and could recommend some good solo activities (no, not that one); or, hell, feels like meeting me in Mendoza for a drink, it would be much appreciated. (I imagine carrete a solas is not a much better idea there than here, especially, lamentably, for us chicas.)

Also, does anyone happen to know of a phone # or website that might have up-to-date info about Paso Los Libertadores? I know that as of Sunday it was closed, but they didn't say when they expected it to be re-opened, and if my bus gets turned around at the border on Friday, it will be a definitive drag for me. The guy who sold me the bus ticket said the buses just leave as scheduled (without even asking about conditions) and hope for the best. But I would rather know sooner, so I can consider other options.

Thanks and Happy Saint Whatshisname (Peter and/or Paul, I think, I�m terribly inculta for not knowing) on Monday, kids!
matttheboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mendocinas.com.ar/altamontana/pasofronterizo.asp

http://www.aca.org.ar/servicios/turismo/vial/pasos.html

http://www.moptt.cl/servicios/emergencia/pasos_front.htm

Stay in a hostel, Wincas on the corner of Sarmiento and Peru is where i always stay when in mendoza, very friendly, very central, very warm and you're guaranteed to meet someone to go for a drink...travelling by bus at this time of year is not a good idea but...it's a hell of a lot cheaper than flying...
matttheboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an add on; if you have to get back for work then you're taking a real risk going by bus as you could get stuck in mendoza for more than a couple of days...basically what happens is that the people who have tickets and miss their buses get priority which means that if you have a ticket for sunday and the pass has been shut since friday, all the people from saturday get preference over you...not to mention that if it's a long w-e in chile then the buses will be full (and that obviously makes it worse if the border shuts) and accomodation might be hard to find...

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/06/22/um/m-1000413.htm

The border's been shut for 5 days due to the snow and it only opened for 8 hours before another storm shut it again...good luck!!
Weona

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the Mendoza thing every few months, too except now that I've done it so many times and since I know the city well - I end up just making a day trip out of it. I usually go alone but end up meeting interesting people along the way.

I leave for Mendoza in the early morning, arrive sometime around 2 or 3, then hop back on the bus at around 10 or 11 and arrive in Vi�a the next day in the early morning. I used to go for the weekend and a few times made a week-long trip out of it but after going every three months - those getting tiring really fast.

Staying in the city for 6 hours usually gives me plenty of time to eat, walk around, shop, take advantage of the exchange rate, and look at the argentine men Laughing so it ends up working out perfectly. I'm not sure if they're doing the over-night bus in the winter (a few months ago they did) but if you're going alone then I recommend doing a day trip. Especially considering what Matt said about the pass being closed and having to stay in Mendoza an extra couple of days with the potential of missing work. Mendoza in the summer, while admittedly more hot and humid, is a lot more fun!

If you're looking for more than a day trip - I definitely recommend the hostel Matt did as well as Hostel Independencia which is right across the street from Plaza Independencia. If you're lucky, you may catch a concert in that park... it's really pretty.

There are tons of things to do outside the city (white-water rafting being one of them!, horse back riding, hiking) and then there is their mall, and the cute little shopping district down town. Also - try some coffee... it's pretty good and refreshing after having the not-so-good stuff in Chile. But it seems you've already been to Mendoza so perhaps you know about all of this stuff already. Smile Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: