Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian/certification

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sivaparvati

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Canadian/certification Reply with quote

I am a Canadian citizen and am thinking of going to Spain (Barcelona) to teach english. I currently live in Taiwan and have 3 years teaching experience here and 6 months in Cambodia. I have a BA from Canada but no TESOL or such certification. Do I need this to teach in Spain?
As a non EU citizen can I find work legally? Is it difficult?
And... I have a dog. Is Barcelona a good place for a dog - space, parks etc.?
any advice appreciated.
thanks.
Moore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you�re illegal, then your qualifications don�t really matter to be honest. Don�t forget, there�s a clampdown on illegals going on here, after they had an amnesty this year, and the government is now charging any school 30,000 euros per illegal worker found.
foss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is the clampdown really going to be applied to North Americans working for pocket money in their year out? I'm not sure, TEFL seems to have its own laws.
Moore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The law is going to be applied to any company employing illegal workers. If you go down the route of giving private lessons you�ll probably be ok, but schools are getting really really jumpy about it - many schools here employ four or five Americans, but that will now add up to 120,000 euros in fines. Also, the government are also going to go after schools for tax-evasion (if they aren�t paying social security, they�re also not paying taxes on the revenue they generate) which involves property confiscation and even prison sentences - food for thought for even the most dodgy academy.
JimRoss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the rules are very strict.

Spain has been in the EU for many years and has some very strict laws that are completely in-line with European Union directives.

The problem in Spain is that there is often very little relationship between what the law says and what actually happens when it comes to laws that are of secondary importance.

I have lived and worked in Spain for 10 years and I know lots of people who have worked here as teachers for many years. Many of these people are from the USA, Canada, Australia. None of them have noticed any change in the way they are treated by their respective employers despite the fact they are "paperless".

Good, bad or indifferent - in Spain there are two worlds:- what the law says and what really happens. Whether Spain will start to impose their new immigration law seriously remains to be seen, but as of now, it's business as usual and no sign of change on the horizon.

Jim Ross,

Director,
EBC Servicios Ling��sticos Europe.

Madrid Contact: Phone:(+34) 91 555 3975 Fax: (+34) 91 345 0843
Buenos Aires Contact: Phone (+5411) 4371 3149
UK free phone Contact: Phone: 0800 8456 719 Fax: 0800 8456 819
US/Canada toll free Contact: Phone: 1 888 393 4015 Fax: 1 888 393 4050

Mailing address Spain:

EBC Servicios Linguisticos Europe SL, Orense 26, 2A, 28020 Madrid, Spain.

Mailing address Argentina:

EBC Servicios Linguisticos Europe SL, Cordoba 1318, 6th Floor, Capital Federal 1055, Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Web: http://www.ebc-tefl-course.com
Moore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much as I love having my Candadian/Ozzie/Yank mates here, their being illegal erodes the rights of those who are legal (quite apart from employing people and not paying social security / employers ripping off the tax-payer etc. etc.). Employers are there to make money, and if they know there�ll be another grateful illegal happy to do your job without demanding any basic rights (year round salary, decent wages, etc.) then they will continue to not give those fundamental things to legal European workers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: