Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeking info on teaching in Toronto

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cj100

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Seeking info on teaching in Toronto Reply with quote

Hello out there,
I'm eager to hear from anyone who has inside information on the Toronto ESL market. At the moment I'm considering a change of locale due to (among other things) the nature of the San Francisco Bay Area ESL situation with its dearth of full-time positions, benefits, etc. I suppose I should mention that I hold a MA in TESOL and have several years of experience in ESL and teacher training in the US and Mexico.

I'm wondering...
1...whether I would just find more of the same: lots of students in need but few positions offering more than just the "supplementary" income suitable for people who don't really have to work but do so as something of a hobby, people who don't have any need for insurance, sick days, and so on. Casting the net so often and having no idea what my financial situation will be in the near future is taking its toll on my diminishing ambiguity tolerance!
2...what it's like for US nationals to secure job offers. I do have Canadian roots, most closely a father who became a US citizen in the last few years (@#!$$&!), which may be of help. I would certainly consider becoming a Canadian citizen, especially with this Bush nonsense going on.

Please let me know if you can help with these questions. I welcome any other useful information as well.

Thanks,
CJ100
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj100--- I am sorry to report that the local ESL market is pretty dire---- AT THE MOMENT. You would certainly find a job with your advanced certs under normal circumstances, because there is a big ESL sector here, but right now the state of play is anything but normal. Tourism from the US is down forty to fifty percent, hotels and restaurants are laying off staff, and ESL schools are reporting cancellations. I'm not saying you won't find a job, but let's put it this way: we've been SARSED. Having said that, try dave's link page for info about current vacancies in esl for new canadians Very Happy , namely with the board of education. Best of luck.
cj100

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Thanks very much for the response. Let's hope, for everyone's sake, that SARS retreats.
That Lisa Girl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not going to have any luck finding an ESL job in Toronto through Dave's ESL cafe. However, despite the impact of SARS on the ESL teaching industry here in Toronto (quite a few smaller, independent schools have already gone under), the best thing to do is apply to the Toronto District School Board or LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers) as a supply teacher; once you are on the supply list, you are eligible to apply for any of the full-time TDSB positions that become available, these generally pay about $30 CAD per hour and have excellent benefits.

If you are already in Toronto, I would suggest looking in the Yellow Pages under Schools - Language, then checking out the website or calling each place to get the name of the person in charge of hiring, then send out CUSTOMIZED personal cover letters & resumes to each school you want to apply to. Most of the private language schools in the city don't offer benefits, except for Language School of Canada, Global Village, English School of Canada, and maybe ILSC (International Language School of Canada). AVOID GEOS. If you want to supplement your income, there are many students here looking for private tutors, especially in the Korean community. I am starting at new position at EF Canada on Monday, which looks like a great place to work, and I'm really excited about it! With your qualifications, you should also check out these websites:

http://www.teslontario.org
http://www.thescec.com/abra/
(directory of Canadian ESL schools with comparative listings, really good)

By the way, if you have "roots in Canada," that's great, but unless you are legally able to work here, forget about it.

Good luck.

Lisa
sprightly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was offered a job in toronto last week.
25 hrs/wk, 2000/mth, before taxes. they contract teachers out, meaning you have to do your own taxes, etc. however, you can often claim a part of your rent and other expenses, because you are self-employed.

the kicker is that rent in toronto is quite high; i've decided to go for a job in montreal. the toronto market depends on foreign students, so their bumper time is summer; things slow down in the fall. montreal has a local market of francophones wanting to learn english, and most language schools also teach french, so they stay balanced, business wise.

the yellow pages are available online, with links to emails or web pages for schools that have them.
i think the URL is
[url]areaconnect.com[/url], but otherwise do a yahoo search for yellow pages.

good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: