Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is needed to teach English to kids in Egypt?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amint

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: What is needed to teach English to kids in Egypt? Reply with quote

Hi. I am new to posting and this entire area of certification. I have a 4 year Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice. I had to take a lot of Psychology and Sociology classes. My degree is from the US. My husband and I are trying to move to Egypt (where he is from). My plan was to teach kids English, however there is a hold up. They want certification teaching or otherwise, I guess. So, since I do not have any certification and my degree is not in Education and need to get some certification. A teaching certification at this point is too costly and time consuming. I have 2 years of teaching experience but no certificate. So, I find these classes for online certification. What do you guys think would be least economical but best for what I plan to do? I saw the 60 hour course that allows to teach English to children. Or there is the 360 hour course that gives you the TEOSOL certificate plus three specialization classes. Any good advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, how does it work taking an online class. How long doe it take to complete?

Thanks
bnix

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Certification? Proceed with Caution! Reply with quote

Hello.How are things in Texas,generally speaking?I have not been home(Texas) in three years.
Anyway,your questions.First,the specific jobs you applied for...exactly what kind of certification did they ask for?Second,TESOL certification is not usually the same as getting cetified to be a teacher in the US in a public school.
Those online courses.I would really proceed with caution.Any TESOL certification programs should be approached with caution.There are some honest ones out there.There are also a lot of scamsters who are just trying to get your money.If we knew the specific kind of certification the job(s) in Egypt (that you mention) require,we could probably help you more.

Again,if you go the certification route,shop around.Ask plenty of questions before you hand your money to anyone.
Al Waystryn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Teaching Kids in Cairo Reply with quote

It should be fairly easy to find jobs teaching kids in Cairo. There are many 'foreign-language' Egyptian schools that sell the fact that they have English speaking teachers to the parents. Fact is they hire people from all over with few if any qualifications and charge more. A friend of mine works in an 'American' elementary school along with Russians, Pakistani's and Greeks whose English is a challenge to understand. It's not an easy job, but they're always looking for foreigners to exploit as teachers - especially ones that are already in the country as they can't afford to recruit abroad anymore with the exchange rate being so low. They usually start in Sept., so start looking in July/August.

If you're interested in 'real' English language teaching to kids, you can get excellent qualifications - the CELTA is offered at ILI Heliopolis - an International House school. And with the exchange rate, Cairo is probably about the cheapest place in the world you can do it. I think the next CELTA there will be in Feb 2004. Once you've got the CELTA, you can do the IH Certificate in Teaching Young Learner's Course (in May in Cairo, I've heard) which I took in Lisbon and paid a lot for. But, it was well worth it - I highly recommend it if you're seriously interested in teaching kids.

Good luck! Surprised
-B
Jim Bigelow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard from a few people that due to the current exchange rate, the Celta at International House Cairo is really cheap right now but when I went to the website I saw the price was still 650 pounds. I'm sure that it was the same price about 4-5 years back. Is it that the price has dropped recently and if so what is the current price?

Thanks!
coolincairo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: CELTA info update Reply with quote

Jim,
I don't know why the website at www.ihworld.com doesn't have the current info about the CELTA course at ILI in Heliopolis Cairo.

The 2004 price is 675 L Sterling (almost the same as it has been for years) and the dates are 7th Feb-4th Mar, 12th June - 5th July, 18th Sept - 13th Oct, and 27th - 22 Dec.

The CELTA course is accepted by all International House schools (they've got over 120 schools in 42 countries) as well as the British Council and most other private EFL institutions around the world. In fact, many EFL schools don't accept teachers with MA's unless they have the CELTA too. In Egypt, it will get you in the door almost anywhere.

You can contact ILI at [email protected] for more details.

Hope this helps,
Bill
hkgirlo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: certificate Reply with quote

You can do the CELTA or TESOL anywhere in the world- they offer one month intensive courses. In my opinon, its a waste of time doing a certificate that won't be recognized worldwide (ie: online courses). It is possible to do a certificate program through your local university. Or ask a future employer if you can take the course (CELTA or TESOL) while working. Dont waste your time with something you cant use!
CairoMig

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: to teach egyptian kids? Reply with quote

You need to be a very desperate person.
laura1d

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Hi CairoMig,

Desperate with regards to the course or with teaching kids?

Laura
CairoMig

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Kids Reply with quote

Sorry, to actually teach Egyptian kids. If they've money for private tuition, they spoilt, rude and in the case of boys, serious pains in the babaganough.
laura1d

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Ok Reply with quote

Hi CairoMig,

Oh ok, thanks!!

They sound similar to many Chinese kids - due to the one child policy they are all little 'gods' !! I have flashbacks re some of my old Chinese students in my nightmares!

As for a pain in the 'babaganough' - that sounds painful haha

Laura
Mchristophermsw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

All the advice is good thus far. But if you want to teach in their public school system and you need a Certificate, you can always enroll in their verson of "Teachers Trianing College" which in most countries is a part time program ( so you teach english at a language school while your studying) and then you can make the transition to their public system later if you would like to.

Call their Ministry of Education to get the detials.

Good luck and let me know what happens Smile
Mchristophermsw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

All the advice is good thus far. But if you want to teach in their public school system and you need a Certificate, you can always enroll in their verson of "Teachers Trianing College" which in most countries is a part time program ( so you teach english at a language school while your studying) and then you can make the transition to their public system later if you would like to.

Call their Ministry of Education to get the detials.

Good luck and let me know what happens Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: