Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Togliatti - Anyone know anything about it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Togliatti - Anyone know anything about it? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I may have a position in Togliatti. Does anyone know anything about the area? The one and only post in the JIJ trashes it as a heavily polluted industrial area, but the photos they sent me look nice.

Thanks,
Brian

PS - Kent: After EF got all excited about me, I haven't heard from them in over a week.
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Toglatti Reply with quote

All I can tell you is that is was-and maybe still is,the drugs capital of Russia,so if you are turned on by the sight of used syringes dumped around the place,industrial filth from Avtovaz etc. you should enjoy it!
But Kent and Rogan are much better informed than me about this area and I'm sure they will recommend Samara instead,which has an old-town and is much nicer generally.They also know about the schools there!
But E.F. in Moscow is another place to be careful of!

M.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: ********* Reply with quote

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
rogan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by rogan on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: ********* Reply with quote

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
rogan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by rogan on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Advice about Togliatti........ Reply with quote

So now you know,and as you come from a lovely place like Canada,and especially British Columbia,just avoid a s*** hole like Togliatti!Bear in mind that environmental conditions do seriously affect people,both psychologically and physically and many industrial cities in Russia have very unhealthy (and miserable!) inhabitants!And even if they offered you a thousand dollars a week-which I'm sure they won't-why go and ruin your own health when there are so many much nicer(and safer!) places to go,both in Russia and in many other countries!
Even Moscow,the capital,has many nasty environmental areas,especially in the south and south-east,so don't get duped into working/living in one of them out of ignorance!
M.
bgor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Blood in the streets and bullet holes in the windows! Yikes! We're not in Canada anymore, Dorothy....

Thank you all for your advice. The contract is 30 hours teaching per week at $500/month, only $700 airfare reimbursement (it will be a lot more than that coming from Canada).

Based on your comments, this doesn't sound like any better than I could get anywhere else. I think I'm better off Moscow at $950/mo (I have to pay for my own apartment), full airfare, and 24 hours teaching per week.

Or, as Kent says, I could just be patient...
Cool
Thanks, guys
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: 950 in Moscpw........ Reply with quote

To be very frank,that's not really much,especially as you are going to rent a flat yourself etc.Why not try contacting Rogan on this site about the Oxford Crown job as it seems much better than any you've been offered so far-good luck!
M.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: