Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

which of these is a nice place to work?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
minnie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: which of these is a nice place to work? Reply with quote

Hi,

I would like to ask your advice about a few places in Poland. I have never worked abroad (I'm from England) before and this will be my first teaching post. I'm looking to work in Poland because I've heard it is good for 'first time teachers' as the training and support is excellent (feel free to correct me on this)

The schools I am considering are in the places below. I don't know anyone who has taught in Poland before so thought this would be a good place to ask for help Smile (theres only 'so much' info on the internet and theres nothing like first hand experience!!!)

Bielsko-Biala
Katowice
Koszalin
Torun
Warsaw

Thank you
Selyer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the job information journal, if you haven't already. There is a post there from a person who worked at IH Koszalin who also posted her email address and is very informative. If you are looking into the IH schools, feel free to PM or email me as I've done a bit of research on a couple of them and may have helpful info. Also, ask the schools for references...teachers/former teachers you could talk to to get the scoop. Hope that helps. Very Happy
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: I would suggest Koszalin Reply with quote

I lived and taught in Poland for a year.Following are my comments on the sites you mentiond:

Kozsalin-a nice city on the Baltic,by far the best of the ones mentioned in your post.
Warsaw-Expensive.Dangerous.Dirty.A dump.
Katowice-Industrial.Sort of like the Newark of Poland.A dump.
Bielsko-Biala-Not familiar with that one.
I would suggest Kozsalin,all other factors(pay,etc) being equal.Good luck.Have fun. Smile
Frater

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: No, no, no ... Reply with quote

I can't hold myself back ...
Koszalin is a dull little provincial town, though the International House School there (along with International House Bydgoszcz and Torun) can be recommended.
Torun is the prettiest of the towns you mention and is also quite lively thanks to the University.
Katowice is, in my view, a dump (but some teachers like it).
Warsaw is best bet - find the rate job and you can earn lots more than anywhere else (even relative to cost of living), and it's pretty 'happening' whatever you're interested in.
I lived and worked in Poland for many years and found Warsaw full of teachers who had previously worked elsewhere in Poland. In other cities, I never found teachers who had previously worked in Warsaw.
If you see what I mean.
'Frater'
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I live in Sosnowiec, and have been here since 97. I work both here and in Katowice, which is right next door. Yes, it is a dump here, but the people are really incredible to get to know. Also, you're very close to the mountains, and the transportation links are excellent.

If you're looking at International House in Katowice, the people I've known who've worked there liked it because it's a great place to start for beginning teachers.

I was just in Warsaw 3 weeks ago, and to be honest with you, I hated every second of it. It's very similar to cities in the US in my opinion. Also, they prey on tourists. Bigtime. (ie, charging you for bread and butter that you did not order, use of utensils, etc.) Disgusting.

Bielsko-Biala is a great town just at the foot of the Bieskid mountains. Great skiing/hiking if that's what you like. I go there once in a while to get away to the mountains. Very close to here..

Anyway, good luck!

Chris
Frater

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Suggestion Reply with quote

Let's take a different approach, Minnie.
Tell us what kind of place you'd like to work in, and all us Poland veterans will try and help you choose.
'Frater'
minnie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the advice!

I understand its all a matter of preference (we can't all like the same thing, life would be dull)

The majority of people are saying Warsaw and Katowice aren't the nicest of places (to put it mildly) so I think i might disgard them for now.

In answer to Frater's question 'what kind of place would I like to work in' it's difficult to say. If I'm being completely honest Poland wasn't my first choice but I have warmed (maybe not a good word to describe Poland Laughing ) to the idea.

I just want the old clich�... nice people/good company, somewhere where I can learn and improve my teaching, nice environment, not worried about earning lots (otherwise i wouldn't be considering a job in TEFL at all) I just want to enjoy myself really and gain a lot of positive experiences.

I think I've narrowed it down to:
1. Kozsalin
2. Bielsko-Biala
3. Torun

(forgot to mention it will be at IH so I'm sure wherever I go it will be a positive experience...)
Brooks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I don`t think Warsaw is a bad place to work. I spent a year there (from 99-2000).
I don`t think it is a dump.
I heard bad stuff about Bell, but not about the Bell schools in Krakow and Gdansk.

Brooks
mike10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: