Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

...hoping for some feedback on Berlitz/Frankfurt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusty77

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: ...hoping for some feedback on Berlitz/Frankfurt Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to this board. I haven't been teaching in Germany yet, but have been teaching in another European country for the past year. I've applied to Berlitz in Frankfurt, and already had a very pleasant telephone interview. The director sounded like he'd be a great person to work for, and he mentioned that indeed it is possible for a non-EU passport holder to work in Germany teaching English, and to get a fair share of hours. I'm seriously thinking about heading over there.
Any opinions on the school, the city, or on the teaching climate in Germany (which I've heard is not great, given the recession) would be greatly appreciated.

Rusty
crashartist1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever have any interest in teaching outside of Berlitz, then don't go there. The system is horrible there business classes are a joke. Does anyone know if Peter Crawford turned Audio Performance around? They have their 'own' joking...er., I mean teaching method that is pretty much useless anyhow. Go get a TEFL, if you have to work there go ahead and do it to get paid just look for other work onthe side so you can leave that company.

crash
Rusty77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Berlitz Reply with quote

Hi Crash Artist,
I appreciate the feedback on Berlitz, but- wow, pretty strong negative opinion you have, so it seems. I'm wondering, are you basing this on your own experience at a specific location (i.e. which city?) . Perhaps the teaching method/environment changes from school to school?
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teachers tend to look on Berlitz with disdain and suspicion. With good reason.
Showem

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rusty,

Berlitz are said within German teaching circles to pay very poorly. Are you talking about Frankfurt am Rhein or Frankfurt an der Oder? If it's FaR, you'll be hard pressed to make ends meet by just working for them.
Rusty77

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Showem (and Scot47),
It's FaR; thanx for the advice, guys...why the bad rap, do you think: is it the teaching methodology/hours?
Rusty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: