Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cancellation of Foreing Experts Book
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris_Crossley

Location: Still in the centre of Furnace City, PRC, after eight years!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Resident permit and FECs Reply with quote

Technically speaking, the FEC is issued to you when you have confirmed employment at whichever employer you are working for. It is not transferable between employers, even if the expiry date has not been reached. When your period of employment ends, you must surrender your FEC to your soon-to-be-ex-employer if it is requested. The residence permit now resides inside your passport in much the same way as a visa does, but the new visa-type ones were introduced only this year. If you still have the old green residence permit, you should hold on to it, because it shows that you are legally resident in China. The two documents should not be confused with one another. Never part with the one you really need, otherwise you'll get into a terrible mess. Like I said, the new permit is in the passport, so you're hardly likely to want to part with that.
Volodiya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, I agree with you, 100%, this has been the law and procedure. But we've been anticipating some changes in the procedures relating to the handling of the FEC when changing employers, and those changes may have arrived.

Here is an excerpt from another thread-

Lowes wrote:
Quote:
I supplied to my new employer my FEC (dark red) booklet, FRP (green) booklet and 2 passport size photos. It took one working day to process the FEC and it was returned with the new validity date entered and stamped.

Volodiya wrote:
Quote:
Very interesting, Lowes. This is the first post I've seen, based on a foreign teacher's actual experience, which suggests/confirms that the procedures relating to the Foreign Expert Certificate (F.E.C.) may be changing, as predicted by some articles written in the Chinese press, late last fall. These articles suggested the government was going to try to simplify the procedures involved in a foreign teacher's changing employers.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=26047
Alex_P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Foreign Expert Certificate Reply with quote

Yes, indeed this book should be returned to the employer. When I have changed jobs I have returned the book and then insisted that the employer give me a letter on letterhead attesting to this. In my particular cases and in the provinces where I have been (Sichuan, Inner Mongolia and Zhejiang), this letter has also sufficed with the PSB.

But yet, the rules have changed with the new in-folio resident visa. The last time I changed jobs (three months ago), they no longer required a letter of release, they no longer required a letter confirming the return of the FEC, basically nothing and I was given a new in-folio visa within three days. Please note that a new FEC had been obtained previously...in just one day..
Chris_Crossley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Foreign Expert Certificate Reply with quote

Alex_P wrote:
The last time I changed jobs (three months ago), they no longer required a letter of release, they no longer required a letter confirming the return of the FEC, basically nothing and I was given a new in-folio visa within three days. Please note that a new FEC had been obtained previously...in just one day..

Sounds pretty good and efficient. I changed jobs back in January, and I asked for a letter of release (having read about it on Dave's!). My employer did not say if I needed one, but I was given one, anyway, so that was no problem. The letter was given to the local PSB and retained, thus suggesting that it had been still a good idea to have asked for one!
Roger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure there are going to be experienced a lot of new teething pains because of the radical changes being implemented right now.
I am getting my third visa through the same employer; my first resident's permit has remained my property; I got a brand-new one last year when they were applying for my new work visa. Ditto for the FEC.
But this year around, they demanded my current resident's permit (which I won't need any more) as well as my FEC. I have heard they won't issue me with a new FEC.
This begs the question: does the new RP-c um visa in my passport take care of my privilege of converting RMB into foreign currency at the BoC from now on?
I don't think such a huge change can be accomplished when so many organisations are involved.
Chris_Crossley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Need to know? - last to know! Reply with quote

Roger wrote:
This begs the question: does the new RP-[with]-visa in my passport take care of my privilege of converting RMB into foreign currency at the BoC from now on?
I don't think such a huge change can be accomplished when so many organisations are involved.

Be prepared to go to the bank only to be met with a firm shake of the head, indicating that they have never heard of any changes to which documents expats need to change or send money. They are usually the last to know - besides the expats themselves!
Volodiya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger wrote:
Quote:
I have heard they won't issue me with a new FEC.

Roger, are you satisfied with that? The RPF and the FEC are still required to be fully documented in China as a foreign teacher and, as you questioned, the lack of the FEC could cause you problems if you try to change money at the bank.
Alex_P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: FEC and Bank of China RMB Exchange Reply with quote

Regarding this issue, again it may be a case-by-case and province-by-province and bank-by-bank approach.

The Bank of China Branch in the city where I live is quite used to the in-folio visas. To change RMB to dollars, they have required in the past a copy of the in-folio visa, the passport, the FEC, the Contract, the receipt from the Taxation Office attesting to the facts that taxes have been duly and the original copy of the contract in Chinese. They then have made the exchange very easily. But again, only in this city (1,000,000 inhabitants). I can't speak to anywhere else.
eslLori

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: RELEASE FORM?? Reply with quote

wELL, THIS IS THE SAME UNIVERSITY THAT WON'T PAY US OUR SALARY,LET ALONE THE RMB FOR THE FEC. The question is "what form"does anotherb province need-no one is sure and no one wants to be wrong, so nothing...
Alex_P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: RELEASE FORM?? Reply with quote

Dear Lori,

I am sorry that you university does not pay your salary. That in and of itself is strange.

Therefore, if they do not pay your salary at all, perhaps the question of changing RMBs to dollars is rather moot.

But since I jumped into this thread late and I do not have all the information in your possession, I await your kind reply.
eslLori

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: saving face no matter what... Reply with quote

Nothing strange- the school is stupid. They signed our contract for x amount oh hours(which included running "English Corner", then they demanded we work more hours,then forged a phoney contract-we said no way. That was March 1st. Now they said we must work more hours again for next term and that we have broken the contract(the next term isn't until Aug 27). None the less, they can't boss us around, which is new for them. These are the same folks that didn't even know how or what a FEC at the bank was for(we had to show them the math for exchange).
They still think we will give them the grade books for this term and keep working until July 15th-with out pay. I didn't say these people were smart!
We do have a letter of termination from the school at the end of July, but nothing else, so... see ya
Another graduate university has offered us positions with twice the pay and no bs-they said as long as we have a signed/chopped letter stating that its fine. so, see ya Tianshui... Beware of face savers they are "Boss Tweed" in disguise. Rolling Eyes
Volodiya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger wrote:
Quote:
But this year around, they demanded my current resident's permit (which I won't need any more) as well as my FEC. I have heard they won't issue me with a new FEC.

Roger, do you suppose they meant that they won't issue you a new FEC because they were/are planning to extend the validity of your current one? (Then, return it to you, as has happened, recently, with several other posters to this forum.)
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vodya,
I thought you knew that you don't get a resident's permit booklet any more; I am going to get a visa that doubles as resident's permit - as explained by others many times in this forum.
THe green resident's permit will not be returned to me.
Volodiya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, the "Resident Permit" (green book) is being superceded this year by the "Residence Permit for Foreigners", a sticker in your passport.

But, you were talking about the "Foreign Expert Certificate" (FEC) in that portion of your post which I quoted; and, it's about the FEC that I'm inquiring.

Take another look at my question. Maybe you just read it hastily and missed what I was asking about.
Roger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this new sticker in my passport, and it looks as follows:

Size and imprint almost identical to the previous work visa; there is a number that, unlike a work visa, is not prefixed with a "Z" any more. Otherwise it looks perfectly like a visa.
On closer inspection I noted it says "Resident's permit" in English, and there also is mention of rthr ereason for its issuance: "WOrk" (the Chinese characrters are new to me, they don't read 'gongzuo'!).

What's more, it bears now "M" or "S" (multiple" or "single" entry(ies") any more.

And that's all. It is both my work permit and my resident's permit, and I no longer hold a FEC. I hope I can open a bank account and convert my RMB into euros, rand or U.S. dollars! But the latter is pure wishful speculation at this stage!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: