Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taiwan working visas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
baters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Taiwan working visas Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to how the work visas situation goes in Taiwan. If I enter the country on the free tourist visa, can I be sponsered by school for a work visa (provided a school is willing to hire me)? I have a degree and experience in Korea. I'm just looking for any information on the work visa process in Taiwan, I know nothing about it.

Also, can I get into the country on a tourist visa without proof of onward travel? I'm a Canadian citizen so I assume I'll be allowed to stay for 14 days, would I have to leave the country again in order to process a work visa (once again, assuming I find a school willing to hire me)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
WorkingVaca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Do yourself a favor. Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor. Apply for a 60-day, EXTENDABLE tourist visa while you're still in Canada. 14 days is not enough time to find a job and get the paperwork ready for a work visa. You'd have to fly to Hong Kong and come back to continue the process, an expensive waste of time (Also, your chances of getting a 60 day extendable visa in Hong Kong are slim to none if you're not signed up for Chinese lessons at a government approved language school. The best you could get in HK would be 30 days, no extension). Again, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND PLAN AHEAD!!!

60 days should be enough time to accept a decent job offer and 1) go to a hospital for the required health check, which takes a week to get the results 2) have your school start the process with a) a copy of your passport b) B.A. degree, and c) health check certificate. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I THINK you won't have to leave the country. You can take the paperwork to foreign affairs and apply for an ARC. I'm still unclear on this part. Somebody please chime in....

Anyways, to apply for your 60 day tourist visa in Canada, you will very likely need to show a round-trip ticket to prove you plan to return to Canada after 60 days, and possibly a bank statement with the equivalent of USD$3000 to be safe. Most people buy the ticket and get a refund once they get to Taiwan. Besides, it's good to have it just in case you find that you hate Taiwan and want to go running back home.
baters

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I have an onward ticket out of Taiwan but I'm not in Canada, I'm in Korea. Is is harder to get the 60 day tourist visa from an Asian country than if I was applying from Canada?
WorkingVaca

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Bummer Reply with quote

Yes, it is harder. You are very likely NOT to get 60 days if you apply in an Asian country. The best you can hope for is 30 days no extension, which you could get at Taiwan's CKS airport on arrival ("Landing Visa" counter) anyway. If you sign up for Chinese lessons at a government-approved language school and have them mail the paperwork to Korea, you have a better chance of getting a 60-day extendable visa. Or, you could always try to get hired from Korea.
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: get the medical test done as soon as you arrive Reply with quote

Whatever kind of visa you get it is best to get the medical test done as soon as you arrive. It takes one week to get the results and the certificate is then valid for three months. So even if you spend a couple of months waiting for the right job to come along you will have the certificate and be ready to go.
scb222

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: visa $$$ proof Reply with quote

if i have a job lined up before applying for the 2 mth visa, do i still need to show proof of US$2,500? do you think theyd go for a credit card statement showing proof of that as available funds?
cheers! Shocked
scb222

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: NOT TRUE! Reply with quote

hmm with all this talk of proof of funds i thought id call the taiwan visa office here in Oz and see what they say. no need for this proof at all. just a confirmed return air ticket is all that's required. where did everyone get this talk of US$ proof from?
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applying for a visa in your home country you are unlikely to be asked for proof of sufficient funds, but if you apply for a visa in Asia you will almost certainly be asked. (I have been asked when applying for a visa in Hong Kong and Bangkok). The funds do not have to be in US dollars. Any currency is fine. A copy of bank statement is acceptable as proof.
scb222

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks taiwan boy your info has been great. but if i apply for a work visa in bangkok or hong kong as my first visa i wouldnt have to show proof right? im in negotiations with hess right now, and im hoping i can get the work visa right from the get-go.
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: in theory yes, in practice ??? Reply with quote

In theory it is possible to get the work visa processed in Bangkok, but it might be easier and less hassle to go to Taiwan and get it done from there. To get it done in Bangkok you would need to be sure that you had all the necessary paperwork and documents. It would most likely involve numerous phone calls/faxes to Taiwan and so on. And maybe a few other unforeseen problems. Getting it done in Taiwan is much more straight forward.

You could try this: Get a letter from a school in Taiwan stating their intention to employ you and requesting a visa to be issued to you. The paperwork could then be done in Taiwan.

They will probably still ask for proof of sufficient funds. Just because it is the first time you have applied for a Taiwanese visa it doesn't mean you are exempt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: