Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting work in Vietnam (how unoriginal!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Getting work in Vietnam (how unoriginal!) Reply with quote

I'm really keen to work in Vietnam, but can't seem to find anyone that's recruiting at the moment, especially as I have hardly any experience. I do have a BA and CELTA, and a little experience with young learners, but everywhere seems to want much more experience.
Can anyone offer any advice on where to look, or if they know about any schools recruiting at the moment. I can start pretty quickly. Thanks.
The Gipkick

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Getting work in Vietnam Reply with quote

If you don't have a lot of experience, I'd just take about $2000 with me and go to Ho Chi Minh City and look around. Just be careful and don't take the first offer you get. Vietnam is not a good place for a beginner though. You need to really know your stuff to teach there because the Vietnamese students are smart as whips and they won't hesitate to shoot you down if you don't know your grammar. There is always one wise guy in every class ready to challenge you in front of everyone. You'd better be ready for lots of surprises. Living there also requires heeps of common sense and street smarts. Are you ready for this kind of adventure?
chaz

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Am absolutely ready for the adventure, just don't have $2000. That's why I need to work! Perhaps I'll try Vietnam in a year or so...
Cheers.
cha muir

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chaz,

Just keep watching the job postings here, I've seen some interesting ones come up. Also have you considered volunteering as a way to gain experience? If you are British then you can check out VSO. They can also place you in smaller towns, like Dalat, where I am working as a volunteer. Good since I sure don't want to be in Saigon where most of the jobs are. Good luck.

cha
jevon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Anti-Americanism Reply with quote

What if you're an American? We never get any opportunities!!!! Mad
(sarcasm intended)

Seriously though, any ideas for those of us who are continentally challenged?
nathaniel_walker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: VSO for Continentally challenged Americans Reply with quote

you do not have to be British to qualify for VSO's opportunities. If you are either a Canadian or US citizen then you may apply online here:

http://www.vsocanada.org/eng/home/

There are other countries that support VSO so just check online at

http://www.vso.org.uk/index.htm
Allyson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Wait til you get here.... Reply with quote

Hi

You can email all the schools before you come, but most employ people once they are here, so they can take a look at you and vice versa. If you have a CELTA and a little experience then you will find work. Schools here generally don't do overseas hires, but you can survive a month in VN on about US600 - that's around 5-10US per night for your guesthouse, and about the same for food and transport, though US800 would probably be more comfortable.

There are loads of mid-range schools that pay around 8-12 US an hour for expat staff with no or little experience, but if you're happy to teach kids you can probably look at SEAMEO or ILA where the pay is likely to be a little higher. Have a look at SIMI, ILA, SEAMEO, or VUS-ETSC. There are loads of others like the Outerspace Language School and other bizaarely named local outfits as well!

Now is about the best time of year for jobs here as things peak over summer and the start of the new school year in September and then slowly back off towards Tet (VN New Year), then pick up a bit after that.

Hope this is useful for you - some of the schools above have websites that may be worth searching for too! Other schools with academic English leanings include RMIT, ACET, and AUSP if you have any IELTS or TOEFL experience...
double agent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: go to '[b]newbies'[/b] form and read my recent post Reply with quote

Hey ya,

Smile

a little NEW, kind a like the first day at kindergarden huh?
Leaving your family at home and the cartoons behind to
step into the big bad world.

WELL. GOOD NEWS Marco Polo...it has been done before
millions before you have had little experience and are
now here to help you not feel intimadated by the INTERVIEWS,
etc...

Employers use no experience as an excuse to lower your salary.
Make up one job...in your home town, keep it modest, and
you will have bargining power. I know some TEFL'ers will
give me flack over this, but it is the only way to negotiate
for what you are worth.

IF you had good training that is enuff. I have found each country
an entirely new experience, and none of the lessons have been
transferable. I am always learning. Everyday....I learn something
new about what is affective etc...

Go to the NEWBIE board there my new post giving NEWBIES some
good solid job hunt tips. GOOD LUCK. Read between the fine
print, and you will be alright.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: