Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preparing to embark

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deadwrestlers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Preparing to embark Reply with quote

Hi.
I am looking for advice as to specific things I should get taken care of before I leave for brazil to teach. Considering I am American, a college graduate with a degree in English Literature, and in this for the experience rather than the money or for career advancement, what steps should be taken before departing? I am aware of the tourist visa issue which seems to be impossible to get around legally, the importance of speaking portuguese (I speak some), and the option of teaching private lessons. And I plan to have some money in my bank account to get settled/travel with... So I'm looking more for less obvious things I may regret not handling at home once abroad.

Much of the literature and testimonials online have advocated just picking up and going to brazil and figuring it out there. While that prospect gets me excited and I have no reservations about immersing myself in another culture, I'd still like to give myself every possible advantage to find a good situation down there... It seems that people's enjoyment depends on luck much of the time, but are there precautions one can take to ensure oneself a better chance at getting lucky?

Finally, I have no experience teaching nor do I have a certification of any kind, other than a Bachelor's degree. From what I've heard it's not at all necessary to have either to find a job, so I'd rather not spend money on a course even though it may mean a rough beginning. My tentative plan is to save up until Carnival and go down for that and find a job afterwards, how does that sound?

If anyone out there has any constructive comments regarding anything I've mentioned I'd very much appreciate a response. Or if you have a link that you think might help me prepare, please post that too. Muito Obrigado! -Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: