Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

italian teenagers at a English summer school

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sprightly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: italian teenagers at a English summer school Reply with quote

i'm going to do a three week gig this month, and would appreciate any thoughts on the little monstres.

they're between 12-17, and are streamed. i know to keep the pace high, change activity, etc. i'm told they're often very chatty but not always in english.

what sort of things would they like to talk about?
so far i have, well, football.
will the boys talk about shopping? is english langauge pop music common? english language movies?

what are some hip things with teenagers? are tehy wearing the plastic charity bracelets?
thanks!!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italian teenagers like clothes - they are very fashion conscious and will probably put you to shame! Just make sure your shoes and handbag match, or you will get pitying looks. (If you are a bloke, please pass this advice on to your female colleagues!)

Most films here are dubbed into Italian, so your teenagers are unlikely to have seen the original version. That is, of course, unless they are really keen and have seen the original on DVD.

They love anything to do with mobile phones: texting, ring tones, picture and video phones. Perhaps you could do something with that in your lessons?

I haven't seen any charity bracelets here. There is an Italian version of Live8, featuring a few old has-beens of Italian music, but most kids are at the beach in summer.

The kids in my neighbourhood are really very sweet. They seem to do a lot of kid hanging-out stuff, and to risk making gross generalisations, this is what they seem to like doing:

- smooching on scooters
- wearing either very baggy or very tight clothes
- displaying piercings / tattoos (though piercings are more popular)
- for girls, at least, wearing a ton of make-up
- spray-painting (not so good)
- practising dance moves

Hope you have fun!
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: italian teenagers at a English summer school Reply with quote

sprightly wrote:
i'm going to do a three week gig this month, and would appreciate any thoughts on the little monstres.

what sort of things would they like to talk about

I presume that you will given some kind of syllabus to follow, but apart from that ASK THEM!!!!

Ask them for input about their interests and what they would like to learn better to communicate in english about. tell them what you like (2 mins). Get them to brainstorm a list of what interests them (throw out a few suggestions to get them started if necc (Clothes, Music, Sports, Dating) whatever). Write the suggestions to the board. Have them vote on the best suggestions. Form groups to argue for the most popular suggestions - 5 mins to prepare arguments, 1 min for each group to present. Then vote again. New groups to argue against the most popular three suggestions. Vote again.

There's one lesson.
sprightly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just make sure your shoes and handbag match, or you will get pitying looks

i never carry a handbag--even i'm not that girly!!

thanks for all the suggestions.

no, there is no syllabus. we have 2.5 weeks to fill up 60 hours, with pretty much whatever we want. i plan to photocopy some stuff out of a few textbooks, and make up my own.

i'm actually looking foward to it, as i haven't been teaching in months, and it means i'll have some mock lessons ready to take toa few interviews i have.

yes, i will be asking for thier input, but am not keen on spending the entire weekend madly making up lesson plans for the next two weeks. especially as i'm supposed to be writing the first draft of my dissertation for the end of hte month--1000 words down, 11 000 to go! Confused
smucat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: summer school Reply with quote

summer school with italian teens was wicked, if knackering,and involving strange big-brother-esque living arrangements...(funfunfun).
popular lessons involved debating, arguing, team competitions. Having said that, the only thing they wanted to discuss was whether Britney Spears was a virgin. They were obsessed ! It was 2002, I guess you can no longer do that!
have fun and stay away from the handbags!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: