Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Libya?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarakrosch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Libya? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any ESL positions open in Libya?
Let me now: [email protected]
Gnome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you live in the UK, you will probably not be attractive to the recruiters who hire for Libya. It is cheaper for them to hire someone in the UK, with just one flight to Tripoli to pay for, instead of an extra flight from the US, etc. Even the interview will take place in the UK, at your expense.

The Bell Trust is always looking for people for Libya. I believe they want you in-country for 3 months at a time. Rotation jobs of 28/28 are available, but perhaps a Brit poster can supply some names of recruiters. The fact that you are a woman and many of the jobs are in petroleum industry camps is a problem. But, there are some other companies now working in Libya. Do a search and keep your eyes peeled on this site.
DaadaDG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Job opening in Libya Reply with quote

Hi, just saw this one at:

http://www.bell-centres.com/jobs/worldwide/libya.html

Good luck!
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: libya Reply with quote

I work in Libya for an oil company;I don't work for Bell.I have not met any female EFL teachers there.My rotation is 65/21 and sometimes 65/28.Libya is a harsh place in which to live.Very little social life,nothing to do for endless days and a standard of living that is 3rd world Africa.If you want any info,pm me.
DaadaDG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: women teachers in Libya Reply with quote

Do they have a policy against hiring women or why do you think there are no women teachers there?

I don't think it's the living conditions. Women can live in harsh, third world conditions too, especially if the money is good.
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: why no women? Reply with quote

It's a good question as to why there are no women teachers.Libya isn't like the Gulf in the sense that classes can be mixed.Therefore there is no demand for female teachers for that reason.The only expat women I've met in Libya have been nurses.Personally, I've never met a woman who would like to live in a shared ,roach-infested shipping container in a country where most local women rarely leave their homes.Why the interest in Libya?You'll earn a lot more in the Gulf and have a much better time of it.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you head off to Libya find out about the fate of the Bulgarian medics currently under sentence of death in that benighted land.
rogan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: working in .... Reply with quote

not a nice place to live
not a nice place to work
not a nice place to be a woman
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Sirte Oil,Libya Reply with quote

Sirte Oil, Libya recruit through Umm Al Jawaby in London.I'd just like to give you a clear understanding of what you can currently expect when you get to Marsa Al Brega.
As far as the teaching goes,the students are well motivated,open to modern techniques and you'll have course books and tapes etc.Therefore,the time you spend in class is enjoyable...it's the rest of the time that is a problem.
Office hours are enforced (7am-5.30pm,minus 2 hours for lunch).Even When you have no classes you have to sit in your office/portacabin 6 days a week.90% of your time will be spent in solitary confinement, especially in the field.
Discrimination is rife an if you're a good teacher you'll only suffer as more and more work is shafted on you.Before long you'll be teaching loads and watching your Libyan colleagues drinking coffee and taking weekly sickies.You'll be chastized for appearing at work a minute late on a day on which you aren't even teaching.
Outside work there is nothing to do.Brega is,in fact,a labour camp.There are no recreational facilities and very few expats interested in doing anything except drinking homebrew.
The accommodation is either an old, shared prefab or an ancient trailer.Both will be infested with roaches,surrounded by ferral cats and furnished with Libyan castoffs.
The only form of transport is your bus to and from work.Everything else is done by hitchhiking in the desert.
The canteen food is slop and the cats often don't eat what I take home for them.You won't be able to eat healthily.
At all times you will be breathing in H2S/Ammonia/Urea and burning oil fumes.The roofing is often made of degrading,white asbestos.
As soon as they apply for your residency,the rotation goes out of the window and you'll be delayed in country without compensation,(illegal).The current record is 249 days.
The salary is very low when considering the hardship here.One guy spent 62 days living and sleeping in his office on a gasplant in the desert,(illegal) where there were no other Europeans.If you take a job, it could be you.
No communications throughout most of the company,no shops,no creature comforts,no women,no bonus,(illegal)...the list is endless.The salaries they offer need to be doubled if they are ever going to replace the few old timers that are left.The work cycle is also 30 days too long.Libya is about money, nothing else.Make sure it's a wad.A lot of the oldies can barely speak in full sentences anymore.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago when I was considering taking a job in Libya, my Palestinian colleagues advised me against it. "No matter how bad it is in Saudi, Libya is worse," they warned me.

I heeded their advice and am glad of that.
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: if only................. Reply with quote

If only I'd met your mate before I came here.Yep,the consensus is that Saudi is paradise compared to Libya and that came from and ex JIC teacher.
guangho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am slowly coming to the conclusion that there may be some things even I won't do for money. Emphasis on maybe.
SandyMan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Zueitina Oil Company? Reply with quote

There was an ad for an EFL job at the Zueitina Oil Company in the Guardian yesterday. Are the conditions similar to the ones you described, biffinbridge? The ad says it is a 42/37 work-leave schedule and the contact company is Jawaby Oil Services in London. Are there any good EFL jobs in Libya?

SandyMan
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: re sandyman Reply with quote

Very few good ones now.Zueitina is just down the road .It's a camp in the middle of nowhere,trailers,no shops,no internet,no social life etc.Apply for Veba. All Libyan companies are just lowering the salaries every time they make an offer.If you leave a Lib company you can't come back for 3 years direct hire.... load of boll#cks really.
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: The end and glad of it Reply with quote

Got my final payout from Sirte Oil.It was 270 GBP short.
This company is a disgrace and is a symbol of everything that is wrong in a country which now has a bright future.Oh yeah...they paid me 4 months after I left.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: