Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To TEFL or not to TEFL?? Info on NGOS?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amyy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: To TEFL or not to TEFL?? Info on NGOS? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm new to this thread, but I've been reading your posts on living and working in Chile. I get the sense that
1) finding a job once you're there is a whole lot easier than getting recruited from out of the country,
2) the easiest job to pick up is to teach English and
3) more institutes are requiring certifications.

That said, my burning questions are:

1) Do I get certified before I go or just wing it once I'm in Chile?

2) If I choose certification, can anyone recommend a local certification program with job placement support? Or does anyone NOT recommend Bridge Linguatec's in-country TEFL course and job placement service based on bad experience?

3) Anyone familiar with the non-government organizations (NGOs) there? I've searched online and they're pretty hard to find.

My last question is related to my primary reason for going to Chile. I want to gain international experience in sustainable resource and community development projects with an NGO, while furthering my Spanish language skills (one year of college level Spanish).

If you have any advice or information, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Amyy
Brynita

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to tell you about certification, but from what I've read on this forum, it seems like you'd be best off getting certified before coming, but waiting to look for an actual job until you get to Chile.

As for NGO's, they can indeed be hard to find, but they do exist. The best way to get a sense of at least some of the organizations that are out there is by browsing these sites (in Spanish, sorry):

http://www.chilevoluntario.cl/

http://www.terra.cl/solidario/index.cfm?accion=guiavoluntario&id=4

http://www.risolidaria.tdata.cl/Portada/Dirseccion/Home_Voluntariado.asp?id=3199&dir=Cifras_VO

http://www.portalciudadano.cl/detalle_noticia.html?id=428;id_seccion=123

Clearly, if you are willing to volunteer, you should have lots of options. If you want to have a paid job with an NGO, you'll need good Spanish and a transferrable work visa, but I know of at least one American who was working for some kind of women's co-op fair-trade type NGO when I was there. If you want to do an internship, good luck explaining to the average Chilean what an internship is! The closest I've been able to come up with is calling it a practica, which is really used more often like a medical internship or residency, but at least sort of gets the idea across. The problem is, even if a company or organization understands the idea, they don't always know what to do with an intern.

Good luck!
amyy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and info Brynita. I really appreciate it!
Brynita

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem!

By the way, it sounds like we have similar professional interests--I ended up getting my M.A. in international relations, and now I work for an NGO in NYC. Yay for trying to save the world! Smile
amyy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's interesting. I just returned from the Peace Corps and I'm still in that international, 'helping people' mode. Do you mind if I PM you some questions on grad school and working in the international field? It would be so helpful for me to get someone's viewpoint on working in a similar area of interest.
Brynita

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, go right ahead! I'll be as helpful as I can. Smile
JamesW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add my thoughts.

I was in Chile in November 04 looking for work as an English teacher. I did not have any TOFL training at the time (only my university bachelors degree in sociology). I have two interviews, one with the now infamous Sam Marsalli and the other with the Wall Street School. Neither of them resulted in employment. I was only in Chile for one month, so I'm sure its possible to have better luck if you were there longer...but after 1 month I was decided to return home.

Upon returning home, I decided to enroll in the online Bride-Linguatec TOFL, because I couldn't attend an on site BL course.....the closest being in Colorado. I started the course two months ago, and finished this week. Its a really good course for anybody who is considering teaching.

I'm at the point now, where I have to decide if I want to spend the $500US for the job placement service. The course + placement together is $795US, but since I enrolled for just the course ($295US) at the time, I'll need to pay the remaining $500US for the placement service.

The service is conditional.....primarily on the fact that if you don't get a B grade or higher in the course, then you won't be eligible. I believe also that on site graduates get precedence over online graduates. With the service, BL finds you 2 placements...max.

From the website, this is what you get in you pay for the job placement service.

" An internationally recognized TEFL Online Diploma, including special endorsements in Business English and Young Learners

A guaranteed job at one of our partner schools worldwide

A competitive salary

Paid return flight ticket for completion of 12 month contracts*

Fully furnished apartment and/or free accommodation*

Free Medical & Emergency Travel Insurance during your placement

In-country orientation and airport pickup

Guidance from our TEFL/CELTA Advisors for the duration of your job placement

* Terms and conditions may vary by country, length of placement and time of year.
amyy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesW,

Thanks for your input. I think I will get my certificate before knocking on doors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: