Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FINDING A JOB IN MEXICO???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lrodgers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: FINDING A JOB IN MEXICO??? Reply with quote

I am planning on moving to Mexico in late August early September. I have a BA in Psychology, and graduate studies in Human Resources. The last 5 years I have worked as a Recruiter. I also have completed my TESOL certificate. So here are my questions:

I have applied to lots of Schools, but have only heard from one, is it common to secure a job in Mexico from Canada? Are schools hiring now for September? or is it too early?

The school I have heard from is offering 7000 pesos in Monterrey, is this salary livable?

Anyway I feel like I'm always searching on the computer and not getting anywhere, any help, advice, etc... would be greatly appreciated.

Lynn
[email protected]
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The school I have heard from is offering 7000 pesos in Monterrey, is this salary livable?
- Lynn

Is that before or after taxes? Does the school provide housing? Is that 7000 pesos per week, quincena, month, year? How many hours of work per week for that salary?

Quote:
I have applied to lots of Schools, but have only heard from one, is it common to secure a job in Mexico from Canada?
-Lynn

It is possible to secure a teaching job in Mexico before arriving, but the vast majority of teaching jobs are found after a person is here. I'd be a bit leery about accepting a job before seeing the school and meeting some of the people I'd be working with, but that's just my personal view.
lrodgers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

The salary is 7000 pesos a month. Accomadations etc...are extra. There is no offer for visa help or plane fare at this time. The work week is 42 hours, half teaching/half prep.

I hear you on accepting a job before seeing the school, but I'm not sure I am comfortable going somewhere and then hope to find a job. Guess I need some security Smile

I hear that Monterrey is an expensive city. Have you been?

Lynn
leslie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bye

Last edited by leslie on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
An EFL teacher currently in Mexico recently told me that the universities and high schools begin the semester at the beginning of August.
- leslie

I don't think anything is consistent enough in Mexico to believe what that EFL teacher said about starting dates. Even within the Mexican university where I teach, there are different starting dates for the various colleges and programs. Our university and the city's two huge public high schools shut down for the first 3 weeks of August, and our EFL classes start the second week of September.

Lynn, 7,000 pesos per month for working 42 hours per week is a pretty low salary, even if that's after taxes. What about paid holidays and medical insurance? In the city where I live, which is less expensive than Monterrey, I wouldn't recommend accepting a job that paid less than 50 pesos per hour at the very minimum.

The part about your 42 hours being half classes and half prep time sounds too good to be true. Most schools don't pay any prep time, and the few that do usually don't pay you for more than an hour or so a day for prep at the most. Don't be surprised if your paid prep time gets filled up with other duties and responsibilities.

Not many schools in Mexico pay for housing, airfare, or work visa, so that part sounds normal.

I do understand your point about feeling more secure with a job lined up before you leave for Mexico. I was probably the same way before I moved here. Many of us who've spent any length of time in Mexico have lost that need to have definite future plans in place for most things. From my experiences in this country, I'd say the concept of planning ahead is quite foreign in Mexico. The general concept is that worrying about anything beyond maybe tomorrow is a waste of time, because the future is controlled by fate. There is a certain sense of freedom when one realizes just how little control over things he really has. (Sorry. I'm "waxing philosophical" here.)

Bottom line is that you could probably survive on 7000 pesos per month if you can find a cheap place to rent and if no financial emergencies come up. On the positive side, if you're spending 42 hours a week at school and possibly traveling back and forth to school twice a day (maybe two shifts if working that many hours,) you won't have the time or energy to spend much money.
MELEE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: FINDING A JOB IN MEXICO??? Reply with quote

lrodgers wrote:

I have applied to lots of Schools, but have only heard from one, is it common to secure a job in Mexico from Canada? Are schools hiring now for September? or is it too early?

Have you applied to schools that advertized or are you just writing to schools that you have addresses for? I ask because I have an email account just to recieve applications, but I don't check it frequently when we are not hiring. When I do check it there are usually a few emails that are at least a month old in the in box.

And I think in general, there wouldn't be the culture of sending out a "thank you for your interest, but we are not hiring at the moment" type letter.

A lot of organizations in Mexico are not so organized as to be hiring now for September. They may not know student numbers and they may not know if anyone is planning on leaving. Most Private Language Schools go year round so there is not a "term" for contracts to start and finish from. And schools and university terms vary. Our term starts the 1st of October.

Don't expect to get moving expenses paid in Mexico. That's not common. Most of the professors at my university (the Mexican ones) are from central or northern Mexico and don't get that kind of help, so why should the foreign ones get that kind of help?

There are also many Mexicans who are equally qualified to do my job. (Fluent in English, and the student's language with MA's in teaching English as a Foreign Language) for whom the university would not need to pay visa expenses to hire, so why should they pay my visa expenses, when I am the one who has chosen to move to another country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: