Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is this possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cicak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: is this possible? Reply with quote

The first time I came here, it was on a tourist visa as my KITAS was not ready. Once the KITAS was ok, I had to make a short trip to Sing. to Ind. embassy

Now my KITAS expired and I am on a temporary extension waiting for the new one to be ready. However, now I am told that I once it is ready, I don't have to leave the country and that all will be dealt here.

Is this really possible? Is it a new regulation?

Does anyone also know anything about this temporary KITAS extensions? How many times can you do it?

All replies appreciated.
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: * Reply with quote

I did hear something about this a long time ago - it had something to do with the government realising how much money they were losing to Singapore every time expats had to leave for a day or two in order to collect their new KITAS. It would certainly make sense - at least for visa reissues. Extensions I think only once? & around 800.000 or something nuts.
Gurusome

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read you can renew your KITAS twice without leaving the country.

You can't go from a tourist visa to a KITAS without burning cash on re-entry.

I can't find a thing about temporary extensions. Are they allowing you to stay, pending the approval of a KITAS renewal (to be dated from when the previous one expired)? Or do you have to start the whole KITAS application process from scratch?

In any event, I'd try to get everything in writing and hang on to all correspondence in case the whole deal goes belly-up. It might not help, but it'll give you something to read in the cell while you're waiting to be deported. (Joking, naturally)

It seems odd that your KITAS renewal wasn't organised before the old one ran out. Did you change employers, or have some other weird stuff going on?

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be fine, but for something as important as this, it's probably worth spending a couple of cents to call your embassy and ask someone who knows. Make them work for their hundreds of thousands a year. Just for your peace of mind.

Good luck.
cicak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does KITAS take anyway?

For my temporary KITAS extension, I did not have to go out of the country and they did it just in one day. I think it cost them around 400,000Rph. They did this 2 consecutive times. How many times can you do it I don't know. Do u?

No, I haven't changed the employer. Same people. And I saw the extension paper from the government office so I guess I should still be legal (hope!)

Gurusome, where did you read about this (that one doesn't haveto travel abroad for KITS)?

Thanx
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you ask your employer? If you can't trust them for some reason, work somewhere else. If you can trust them, they'll know all this stuff and will tell you. Nes pas?

Last edited by Cardinal Synn on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gurusome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cicak.

I got the info from this page:

http://www.expat.or.id/info/docs.html

And then I checked it on another site, but can't remember which one. There should be info on any Indonesian consulate webpage.

Nothing I saw referred to a temporary extension, though.

And since the cost of a KITAS should be around 400,000 anyway (though that info might have out-dated prices), it seems odd to pay the same just for temporary extensions.

You should definitely check with your consulate, in case your employers are doing something dodgy. It seems to me to be a situation that could easily have been avoided.
cicak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Cardinal,

I think u r posting a reply for the sake of posting but not helping.

Why don't I ask my employer? How the hell I got all that info. I have given on this page? Just wanna double check with people who knows a bit more than I do. What's wrong with that? Rolling Eyes

And Gurusome,

Thanx for the web address, I have checked that out before. All I found relevant to my case was this which does not really answer my questions;

In foreign investment/PMA companies, work permits for senior positions (such as Director) held by foreigners are for three years and can be renewed just before expiration. (Note: Director's positions held by foreigners is only applicable for foreign investment/PMA companies). Other position slots in the RPTKA (for domestic companies) are only for one year and can be renewed annually, usually up to a fixed number of years.

Anyways, thanx for trying to help. I appreciate.

Whatever will be will be Smile
Gurusome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that this part would be more relevant to your situation:

"The KITAS card and blue book allow you to live in Indonesia for one year and may be renewed annually, up to two extensions without having to leave the country.

We have been told that the ACTUAL cost of the KITAS issuance, as well as the renewal cost is Rp 400,000."

As I said... no info about temporary extensions.

It's a good idea to check the info you have with people who know more than you, but that's not necessarily us. You need to consult some kind of bureaucrat, I'm afraid. Nobody ever likes doing this, but if you can get whatever they tell you translated from bureaucratese into English, sometimes they have useful information.

I hope it all works out.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well pardon me for breathing lizard boy. I was trying to be helpful. If you have to say things like,"Why don't I ask my employer? How the hell I got all that info. I have given on this page?", then you don't deserve any help. I use this forum as a place to chat a bit with fellow teachers. You use at as a place to get free information and you're rude when the info doesn't suit your needs. Charming.
By the way, the info Gurusome gave you was gained from searching the internet. You could easily have done the same as him but you got others to Google for you. Lazy? Probably.Why couldn't you have done the same?
cicak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardinal

u literally made me laugh (no sarcasm).

firstly, accept my apology for using the statement with 'hell'.

Quote:
I use this forum as a place to chat a bit with fellow teachers. You use at as a place to get free information

Well, of course I am using this page for asking free info. Camon who isn't? People ask about mbikes, salary, school, salary, living conditions, possibility of having nice gf....etc. I had no intention of chatting and sorry if I had given the wrong impression that I wanted to chat.

Quote:
and you're rude when the info doesn't suit your needs

Which info.? Camon admit it, u did not give me any info.

Quote:
By the way, the info Gurusome gave you was gained from searching the internet. You could easily have done the same as him but you got others to Google for you.

Are u saying that all the people who are asking questions here are lazy people getting others to ''google'' for themsleves? Don't judge peple like that! I did search but could not find anything that would answer my question so that's why I posted here. And I do appreciate Gruesome's effort to help.

Gruesome,

I found out from another source that the employer can extend ur KITAS temporarily if ur new KITAS is in process but not ready yet. The empolyer can do it only 2 times. Each extension is for one month period and costs 400,000Rph.

Also I don't have to go out for the renewal of my KITAS unless the school changes its name/regitrtration number and so on.

Thanx.

[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: