Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Price of a second hand Vespa scooter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spinx11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Price of a second hand Vespa scooter? Reply with quote

hi guys

just got here, teaching at a school at PIK. anyway i'm thinking of getting a vespa, i have been quoted prices ranging from 1 juta to 4 juta, depending on the age and condition of course. anybody here know any decent dealers ? we can discuss this over a few beers.

seeya
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

err... Where's PIK? Forgive my ignorance.

I think anyone brave enough to risk the potholes around here with tiddly little wheels like that deserves a medal, however plenty do and 1-4 juta for your own transport sounds pretty darn cheap to me.

If ever you get out to Bukittinggi on the Sumatra tourist trail watch out for the stretch Vespa club there. These guys ride massively elongated scooters with all manner of decor and modifications and probably know, intimately, the exact location of every speed hump in the town.
spinx11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PIK - Pantai Indah Kapuk quite near the airport, in the northern part of the city, near Pluit.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, just get a real motor bike. Vespa's aren't really as cool as some people seem to think. You will not be Jimmy from out of Quadrophenia. You will not be cool Italian 60's dude with cool shades and sharp suit. You will be lowest of the low on the road, next to the bakso guys. Lower.
Of course if you get this one, you will be cool.

Or this one? Unable to work this one out though. Check out the seat:

Odd

No,better still, just go out into the street and wave this guy down:

Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously though, get yourself a Honda Tiger or something. Much, much more fun than scrabbling through town on a food blender

Honda Tiger:More fun than a food blender.
spinx11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bit above my budget mate, these tigers must cost at least 10 juta. anyway i know a guy in phnom penh with a vespa and he's doing fine, while i was riding a XR250 there. another dude in saigon has one too a 73 model and he did it up quite nicely.

anyway what can i get for 4 juta?
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean Vespa or anything? You won't get a Tiger, but you can get something alrightish. Say what you'd like and I can maybe give some pointers.

Here are some examples:

JUAL VESPA EXCEL TH 97, BODY TERAWAT, MESIN PRIMA. HARGA 4JT NEGO. MINAT SERIUS HUB RIYAN.

Di jual Vespa PX th.1983, bagus & terawat, harga 3 jt (nego). Hub.JOKO

Dijual: Honda CG 125 th 76, an. sendiri, warna merah, CDI, velg baru, ring-piston standar, karbu baru, hanya 1,6 juta saja, hub.

I haven't listed the contact details, as I'm not sure if I'd be breaking the forum rules but these are just to give you an idea. If you want contact numbers etc, PM me. Obviously, you'll need a decent level of Bahasa Indonesia or someone to help you. I would go private rather than use a dealer. Hope this helps.
Gurusome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that info from a website, or did you copy it from a newspaper? Either way, can you give us the source?

I'll also be looking for a cheap putt-putt type thing -- something that won't hurt too much when I fall off, and something I can throw away when I write it off completely.

I'll need to get a learner's permit there, too. Is that just a written test? Do they even have learner's permits there? (I can't recall seeing any plates displayed.) Whose picture should be on the currency if I have to get my license the dodgy way?

Oh, yeh... which schools have the best wheelchair access?
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you using "please"! Rolling Eyes
Bike info was emailed to me by an Indonesian friend of mine.
If you have a driving license for your own country, send off for an International Driving License. Even if it's just for a car, you will find that it is enough. I wouldn't bother getting a license here if I could avoid it.
However, if you haven't ridden a bike before, Jakarta IS NOT the place to learn or it won't be wheelchair access you're looking for, it'll be coffin access.
spinx11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea of the prices, which paper did you get that from?
Gurusome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please please please.

And thank you.

I don't got no stinkin' licence, man. Pretty retarded for this day and age, but what the hell? I've thrashed bikes around paddocks and country roads before... nothing stronger than a 125. I've been riding pushbikes through crazy traffic for the last 20 years (not Jakarta-crazy, though). The principle is vaguely the same. I will need to do a bit of practice in a nice quiet outskirt before even attempting the frenzy runs.

In most places, Jakarta traffic only seems to move at about 30k's at the best of times. It can't hurt THAT much to fall off, as long as you get out of the way before the third or fourth car goes over your head. All those open drains are a bit of a worry, too.

I was thinking of using a bike mostly to zip out of Jakarta into some of the quieter towns on weekends/breaks. At least until I go troppo and think it's worth playing chicken for a while just to pop down to the supermarket and back.

Anyway... I will need to get a motorbike license (or learner's permit) in Jakarta. So that'll be fun.

Cheers.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember reading about getting a license in one of the Guide books - LP or Rough Guide. Think it was in the Bali section, but should be fairly relevant. Maybe you already have info from an expat forum?
I don't think you can get a learner's permit though. I do think there's a written part to the test, which'll be tricky if you've not been here long.
As far as info on people selling, as I said, PM me and I can chuck you some numbers etc. Happy to help if I can (despite what some posters might think, right cicak? Wink ).
Have fun and try not to die.

Last edited by Cardinal Synn on Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinx11 wrote:
Thanks for the idea of the prices, which paper did you get that from?

As I said, the info was emailed to me, but it is in the public domain somewhere. Talking of papers, I'm sure a read through the classifieds in Kompass or the like will yield results. Otherwise, PM me and I'll give you a list of bikes and contacts. You still haven't said if you're only after a Vespa or if you're interested in others.
Cheery Bye
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: