Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Decent Jobs???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C76

Location: somewhere between beauty and truth...in Toronto. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Decent Jobs??? Reply with quote

(I changed this thread's title. I don't necessarily want a University job. However, I would appreciate a good job.)

Hello,

I'm new to the world of ESL, and am searching for a job in Latin America.

I have an Honors BA in English, and a TESL certificate.

My question is...How difficult is it to find work at a South American University? Are they hiring TESL teachers? Do they pay decently?

I'm interested in countries such as Uruguay and Argentina.

Any information that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Smile Claire

Last edited by C76 on Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:08 am; edited 2 times in total
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Argentina?Uruguay?Why? Reply with quote

Neither one is a good place to go to teach right now.Surely you have heard at least something about the economic problems and political upheaval in Argentina?It is not a good place to go to teach right now.Uruguay has also been affected to some extent by the problems in Argentina.The people in Argentina are worried about basics now,like putting food in their mouths and a roof over their hands.The majority do not have time for luxuries like learning English.

That B.A. and TESOL cert will not cut much ice anywhere in getting a university job,maybe with the exception of some places in eastern Europe(most of which are going EU,which would be a problem for you if you are not from an EU country).Most universities(not all) want at least a masters degree.The fact you got a degree with HONORS does not mean diddly to these people.Grades mean very,very little in the real world, unless you are trying to get into med school.As long as you have the paper...that is what they care about.But a B.A. does not cut much ice anymore,because there are people out there with masters,and even doctorates.

I suggest you look at Mexico,if you are interested in Latin America, possibly Brazil.I would suggest you forget about Argentina and Uruguay,at least right now.There are never many TESOL jobs in Uruguay, even in the best of times.

You might also find you need to look somewhere else besides Latin America for a job.Just wishing to teach in one area of the world does not guarantee you can find a job in that area of the world.It is just not that simple.Anyway,look at other options.Good luck.
MELEE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your interested in Mexico, I might be able to help you out. Let me know.
C76

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Decent jobs in Latin Am... Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. Still, I am curious about Latin America in general. Surely there are decent places to work in that region. (Aren't there?)
bnix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Well, What Do You Mean by "Decent"? Reply with quote

First, Latin America is NOT the place to go to make money in this field. Like eastern Europe,it just does not pay well in the TESOL field. People who want to make money in this field go to either Asia or the Middle East.True, there are plenty of problems both places, but they are about the only places you can really make any money in this business.
If you leave money out of the equation,sure, there are probably a few nice places to work in Latin America...but you will need to do some research.Like a number of other places in this business, probably the majority of TESOL veniues in Latin America are not "decent" jobs.Negative....but the truth.
C76

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

Thanks bnix.

I want to go to Latin America because of my interest in the language and culture. Unfortunately, I also have to think of paying off my student loans. For that, I need $$. I was hoping that somehow I would be able to find the best of both worlds.

I might end up working primarily for the cash first, in a different location, and then making my move...We'll see.
M.K.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Claire,

I'm in the same boat as you so I sympathize completely. I have student loans to finish paying off, but at the same time I'm fascinated by Latin America and have heard great things about living down there. But then of course there's the money issue, meaning there is really none to be made in teaching down there Confused Enough to live on and do some budget travelling maybe, but no savings to be had and certainly no luxuries. Once I earn my CELTA this summer I plan to teach in Central America for at least a year (while deferring my student loans), then perhaps move on to a more lucrative location once I have some teaching experience and thus more salary bargaining power.

Best of luck to you! Very Happy
Melissa
michaeld.chicago

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: jobs in S.A. Reply with quote

there are many opportunities in Chile and Colombia, both of which I am considering. Don't be afraid of Colombia just because a few people say it's dangerous - you just need to be careful as in any big city. I live in Chicago now and there are certain areas here I would not go - same as in Colombia.
Let me know if you'd like more specifics.
Michael
C76

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colombia is one of the places I wanted to work. Bogota, especially.

But MDRC (My Dream Recruiting Company) says they need people with a BA and BEd for those jobs. I don't have a degree in edu.

I'm thinking of going to their other locations. For the security, experience, and $$.

When I say security, I don't mean that the other countries they offer are any safer than Latin Am. It's just that MDRC offers The Perfect Starter Package: Housing, good salary, med insurance, travel allowance.

All in all, too sweet for me to miss. Wink
michaeld.chicago

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: jobs Reply with quote

C - is MDRC a real company or just the nickname you gave them? can you point me to their website, please. do they charge a fee? i'd love to get hooked up with a recruiting firm but refuse to pay anyone for a job.
thanks,
chicago
C76

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nickname. They're Canadian. I don't know if they're willing to work with you Yankees. Wink I forgot to check and see if they have any American offices.

Send me a p-m for details. (Weird. Suddenly I got shy. I came back and removed the co's URL. What if their DOS is reading my gossip--er--recommendation?! Embarassed )

Edited to add:

MDRC has a good reputation. Not just for the services they offer, but for taking care of their teachers. Staying in touch, that sort of thing. This is a major plus for me--if they'll have me, it's going to be my first time overseas. Sure, I'm eager and excited. But a small part of me is pretty nervous. Embarassed

And are recruiters supposed to charge a fee? (That was one of your questions about MDRC. Right now I'm skeptical of any firm that wants me to pay them to find me a job.) Please answer. I honestly have no idea...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: