Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wall Street Institute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
edwinagirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Wall Street Institute Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about Wall Street Institute? I heard they were in serious decline. Any comments?
brontolo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for Wall Street in Turin from 2001-2002. They were awful to work for - no resources, boss who didn't speak English or care about teaching English (just wanted to make money), didn't get paid on time, had to argue about salary when it was paid, no support system, no air conditioning in summer or heating in winter, no door entry system so people just wandered in off the streets (though I have heard they have sicne moved premises). Generally a prime example of a "cowboy" English school in Italy. I also didn't like their multimedia program (English OnLine).

I will point out, however, that as Wall Street schools are franchises, other schools may be completely different. The schools in Cuneo and Moncalieri were run by the same family as the Turin school though.

Sorry to be so negative but it's the truth!
mikeB41100

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: WSI Reply with quote

I would echo above about franchises, as is the case here in Modena. I believe their quality varies widely. A friend worked - until recently - in the Prato school and she seemed to be quite happy with the set up.
I should add further: WSI were recently taken over by The Carlyle Group, the American corporate set-up (with some famous/notable folks on the board...Wink) so who knows what direction it could take in the future?
Dolma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugghh...
I looked into working for the WSI in Venice 10 years ago. They made me go through their entire audio course(which took days if not weeks) before they would even consider offering me work. Rolling Eyes IIRC the best I was able to get after going through all of that was 2-3 hours/wk(private lessons) and then that fell through as well. The only thing that really stands out for me about my WSI experience(besides the general suckage) is that I was standing around talking to the director when the OJ Simpson verdict was announced... Smile Oh, and the scary steep narrow marble staircase leading up to the institute itself. It was so old that foot-shaped grooves were worn into the marble by generations of disillusioned TEFLers. Laughing I had better luck with the Cambridge Institute(I think that's what it was called) in Mogliano Veneto, a short train ride away. Cool Scottish director, motivated students, nice mixed group of teachers(Aussies, Brits, and me the token Yank).
John ELS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WSI in Genoa is the worst school in town. But they'll take on just about anyone if you need to chalk up some experience. But leave as soon as you can.
If it's the worst school in town how do they get so many students? Well, let's just say they have some very "creative" marketing schemes...or better, scams.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: