Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gya, ethiopia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahgar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: gya, ethiopia Reply with quote

hello, ive seen on the jobs board a job going with gya, teaching in ethiopia. has anyone had any experiences with them or any info. any word would be much appreciated. Confused

cheers.
endo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to hear something too. Ethiopia doesn't pay a lot, but between the friendly people (so I hear), great food, kat(spl?), and rastas, it seems like an incredible place to live and work.
Afrogirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: GYA, Ethiopia Reply with quote

Hi Endo and Rahgar,

I am at the moment working for the GYA school in Addis. Most of the people I know who are working, or have worked there seem to hold very different opinions about the place but I will try and give you the information as objectively as possible.

For myself I hold a quite positive opinion about the place. I think the pay is reasonable (ie enough to live on but not to save). We are given a nice place to live 5 minutes from the school, and the hours are OK, (I take books home to mark more than I would like but maybe compared to any Western job it's not so much.)

I actually love Africa very much which is why I am here. (Ethiopia doesn't really count itself as part of Africa but I'll leave that one for the moment.)
The people here are friendly, there is a very relaxed culture and the dancing in the clubs is cool. The scenery is also great if you manage to get out of town. There is also a lot to see in Ethiopia, but you can read the lonely planet about that.

About the school my only early gripe was that there are too many rules and regulations, but it is a big school and I guess that it is necessary.

Other volunteers/teachers have been unhappy because they expected to be teaching the poor kids of Addis. The GYA kids may not be from the weathiest families in Addis but they are definately not from the poorest. They are however very rewarding kids to teach in that they are mostly nice students, with a good level of English.

I you want more information I suggest you contact the school. There is an email address on the website. If you ask they can also give you the emails of the teachers already here for more information.

Helen
yeoyeo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Important Information about GYA Reply with quote

Hello all,
I would liek to say that I have worked at this school, and have a lot of information that could help you out. I can also help you out with visa details, work permit info, etc. As for living in Ethiopia, it has been an experience that an easy-going person would truly benefit from. The people, the culture, and the land are absolutely wonderful.
I hope that anyone considering to work at this institution contacts me personally. I worked there earlier this year, and can put you in touch with at least 6 others who were there as well, or some staff from the previous year.
I have lots of information and can help clarify any problems or inconsistencies that you may hear about the school.
Please do contact me personally. my email is [email protected]
Take care.
hardingl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check my reply to QUESTIONS ABOUT TEACHING IN ETHIOPIA
bopdjen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know if you can get into Ethiopia on a oneway ticket?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: