Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

would those who have given up jobs and gone out to asia -
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrjack

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what money? I'll have about three thousand pounds if I'm lucky and thats it, no other assets. That's got to get me a start in NZ too! I'm positive it will be enough, and if its not it will just have to be! where there is a will there is a way!

Big thanks to everyone who takes the time to respond to people and share knowledge/insights and offer FRIENDLY advice. Good on ya!
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back in Bangkok after not having lived here in over 20 years. And I'm back to teaching and training.

Compared to other places I've been, this is one of the very best for standard of living, cleanliness, climate, hospitable people, eager learners and culture (both traditional and contemporary).
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Henry!

Found this while trolling the web today, reposted in your honour

~ photo courtesy of http://www.bangkoksite.com
Volodiya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great one, Kent! You just reminded me of the most spectacular rooftop bar I've ever been in (on!)- the bar on top the Banyan Tree Hotel, Bangkok. It's not to miss!
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Hey, that looks like fun!

I'm putting it on my list of things to do

when I win the lottery

or when it's your tab.

PS: There's a photo of the rooftop bar on their homepage!

http://www.banyantree.com/bangkok/ (Banyan Tree Bangkok)
Volodiya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a look at what we're talking about, click on the site Kent suggested; then click on "hotel facilities"; then click on "dining"; then click on "Vertigo".

Vertigo is a good name for it. You're on a platform built of wood and metal which follows the contours of the building- which is curving and irregular. It's an amazing place. Entirely open air, and sixty-one stories above the ground!

Great place for a drink. As Kent implied, not cheap at anywhere from 200 to 400 Baht for a drink, but a great way to spend some time enjoying the view.
mrjack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: just scored Reply with quote

Have just scored a Job teacing P.E. at an International school in KL. A big thankyou to everybody who took the time to reply to my post. Thanks for the inspiration.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, mrjack! I believe that you'll find an Intl School teaching gig quite nice. And there is a well-established expat community in KL through which you can find all sorts of information. They have a few websites and online groups/forums.

http://www.expat.com.my/
http://www.expatkl.com/v3_index2.php

And don't forget to pick up a copy of Paul Theroux's novel Saint Jack (set in Singapore in the early 1970s). It was made into a really good film by the director Peter Bogdanovich; the film was actually shot in Singapore. It gives an excellent depiction of the "seamier" side of cities in Malaysia (which, several decades ago, weren't too much different from the Singapore of the time).

"... It's the tale of Jack Flowers (played by Ben Gazzara), a stateside dropout, who wheels and deals with the Singapore underworld to open the fanciest wh*re-house north and west of Krakatoa. Jack is not just a prince, as the late Mr. Ladd was, but he's also a saint for his essential goodness. He befriends waifs, whores, incompetents and bores, the little guys everywhere, no matter what their race, color, creed or sexual preference. Among his pals is a mild-mannered though gutsy Englishman, nicely played by Denholm Elliott, an accountant with a bad ticker and a dream of one day retiring to a Georgian house in the west of England...."
[from the New York Times review, by Vincent Canby]
taz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bad day here is better than a good day back home. i like it but i wouldnt say it is fantastic.

something to think about; 1/3 of my celta class never went on to teach. several others didnt last a year of teaching. it is something to think thru.

good luck on your future decisions.
mrjack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: I have been teaching for eight years Reply with quote

I have been teaching for eight years, its all I know really, so I hope to still be doing it in a year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: