Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

housing in Indonesia and other Q's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxfordstu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: housing in Indonesia and other Q's Reply with quote

I've been working in Korea for the past year and living in a tiny little apartment in a neighborhood that looks like it's been bombed out from some war. The good news is that I only have a few more weeks here and I'll have saved over $13,000. After paying off some debts, I'll have about $3000 to have a safe cushion.

Anyway, I'm thinking of either teaching in Thailand or Indonesia next. When I took my TEFL course one of the instructors told us of the good life in Indonesia: that teachers there live like kings in huge houses with incredible views. Is he wrong or is this true?

Oh, and one more question: When do the public schools hire in Indonesia and what kind of salary can I expect compared to a language school? I've been reading the threads here, but haven't really found any info on these things.

I have a B.A. in English, a teaching credential (English), and a TESOL. I've taught for 5 years in 4 different countries. And before you suggest international schools, those are almost impossible to get into without a masters and at least 3 years of contract experience in the US.
ls650

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: housing in Indonesia and other Q's Reply with quote

oxfordstu wrote:
When I took my TEFL course one of the instructors told us of the good life in Indonesia: that teachers there live like kings in huge houses with incredible views. Is he wrong or is this true?

Generally speaking, I'd say he was wrong. When I worked in Indonesia I shared a very nice house in a gated community (not much of a view though). Unfortunately it was about an hour (or more) by bus outside of Jakarta proper.
Most of the teachers I met in Jakarta lived in squalid ratholes; a few managed to live in quarters that most of us would deem run-down but livable in any Western country.
Quote:
What kind of salary can I expect compared to a language school?

I think the going rate for a private language school in Jakarta is something around 7 or 8 million rupiah per month, plus airfare and visa costs.
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Housing for EFL teachers here ranges from semi-palatial to downright gruesome and I urge you to check this out carefully before accepting a new job. I count myself lucky to have my own bungalow (albeit a small one), newly built, with a/c and hot water as part of the package. More often than not, however, language schools tend to place teachers in shared housing. Around Jakarta these tend to be in housing complexes that might best be described as 'gated communities' as LS650 put it and for the most part these are fairly modern and reasonably furnished.

Elsewhere in Indonesia I have lived in a stark, barely furnished house with pantomime plumbing and paper-thin walls, while other people on this forum can tell some pretty hairy stories about the hovels they have ended up in.

Also worth checking what is included in the 'free' accomodation. I get an allowance towards my utility bills but most people have to pay these outright. Other possible charges include security, drinking water and maid.

CHECK IT OUT BEFORE ARRIVAL - failure to follow this advice could result in much misery and financial hardship.
Gurusome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gugelhupf.

Just wondered if you (or anyone else, really) have any tips on how to get info about the housing before arriving in Indonesia. Would it be deemed rude (or anal) to request photos of the house/room? Are schools usually ok with giving contact info of current teachers? Would they get upset if I had a friend visit them to check out the school/housing?

Was it easier for you to negotiate better housing after you had experience in Indonesia? I imagine a first-time teacher would be in a pretty weak bargaining position.

Any info/tips would be greatly appreciated.
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My accomodation is not bad because I work for a National Plus school rather than a language school - although having said that some (but only some) of the latter do provide good housing. No reputable school would deny you the opportunity to contact existing teachers, and while I doubt many would send photos of the housing there is no harm in asking some searching questions. On my list would be:

How far from work and shopping/entertainment is the housing?
Is there a/c? a washing machine?
What type of bathroom/WC is provided?
How big are the rooms?

Also worth noting whether the housing is next door to a mosque unless you don't mind waking up at 4.30!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: