Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One Way Tickets to Chile

View previous topic :: View next topic  
berticus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: One Way Tickets to Chile Reply with quote

I'm looking at tickets on www.exitotravel.com for one way and round trip fares to Chile. I've heard of difficulties with the airlines if you don't have a work visa yet and you try to go with only a one-way fare. Have any of you had this problem? Any suggestions? I'd like to only have to pay for a one way and get another one way on my way out of there in a year.
thanks
-bert
Weona

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This same question was asked a while back here: http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=16485

From which country will you be departing? I've heard of a few people who were forced to purchase a return ticket at a U.S. airport but for the most part, it seems like the law (which is that you do indeed need a return ticket) isn't really enforced. I went down on a one-way and had no problems and I know of other people who have as well.

My only question is that if you do only plan on staying a year, why not just purchase a round-trip ticket? It is much more cost effective going round-trip than doing a one-way... twice.
eileen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of one person that had to buy a ticket, and she came to Chile either from NZ or Australia. Can't remember.

Before I left (April 2004), I called the Chilean consular services, in the states, and they told me it is discretionary on the part of the admitting officer, whether or not it causes problems. The airline, apparently, can also cause you problems. I know about four people who have come and gone into Chile on several occasions without a return ticket. It's a bit of a crapshoot, but if you can get a better deal on two one-ways, I'd probably do that.

Weona, if you're travelling to NY, Atlanta or Miami, you sometimes can get a better deal on two one ways than having to buy a round trip ticket that lasts a year.

If you're eligible for an ISIC card, (and even if you're not), STA travel can get you good deals. And if you're not eligible, if you come to Chile and teach English at a place that gives you a Liquidacion de Sueldo (like a paystub) and you work enough hours, you can get an ITIC card, which also offers discounts.
novia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: one way Reply with quote

You first have to find an airline that will sell one. Lan chile is one. the consulate in Canada told me no problem to go on a one way at all. Although you need a credit card or two, and money proof of funds to buy a return ticket (potentially on the spot). Another option is to buy the ticket and get a refund after or even sell it if possible. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: