Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a job in January - is this plausable?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jame Velmont

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Finding a job in January - is this plausable? Reply with quote

From my research I know that the best time to find a job in france is September and that a lot of teachers sign a contract then for eight or ten months or whatever. I know the worst time is the summer because a lot of the schools shut down, but what about the middle of the school year? I'm planning on moving to france (paris) in january - should it be that difficult to get a job then? btw, i have a uni degree, will be TESOL cert. by then, several years teaching exp in asia and a working knowledge of french. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

cheers
rogan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that your canadian nationality will be your biggest problem.

That said, you might find some help through a twinning organisation linking Laval (Mayenne) and Laval (Quebec or Ontario)

Don't know a great deal about it, but it does exist to tighten links between the old country and old emigr�s
Jame Velmont

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"My guess is that your canadian nationality will be your biggest problem."

why is that? if i have a working holiday visa i would assume it would not
be THAT difficult to find work? is there really that much of a bias towards non-EU workers?
Luder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't listen to Rogan, Jame. At least not when he's busy delighting in telling us North Americans we can't work in Europe. He's always doing it. It gets old.

As for your question, outside of September, January is probably as good a time as any to look for work in Paris. That said, pay is poor in most places and life is expensive.
John Hamilton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: January in Paris Reply with quote

I think that's a bit harsh on Rogan. It is simply much harder for North Americans to find work in Europe, not impossible but much harder. In fact about as easy as it is for Brits to get a Green Card.
go2guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good "entry periods" for finding work are indeed September and January, but there is a constant need for good trainers in France.

The CDN working holiday visa may be the best "back door" for those looking to work for a year -- and beyond! I have met a few Canucks here who have used it to set up good situations and then make it work toward snaring a carte de s�jour (after going back to Canada for a mandatory waiting period for visa processing, mind you). It's the "CAN-a-do" attitude at work!

Go Leafs Go (oops, can't say that now, can we ... ok, Sens???)
paulmanser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most easiest way for brits to get work in USA would be illegal via camp america program. Work at a camp for 3 months and then *travel*. I know a few poles that have done this. 5 years later and still a poles sister-in-law is still in brooklyn. NYC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: