Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in Milano -- Do I really need a CELTA or TEFL cert?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SullyK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Working in Milano -- Do I really need a CELTA or TEFL cert? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I love reading this forum, but have only been at it for about 2 weeks. So, hopefully my question isn't one that has been answered many, many times.

My girlfriend is going to grad school in Milan next year and I'm looking into going over with her for a year or two. I'm looking into getting certified to teach English, but am wondering if the certificate is even worth the money.

I have a BA in Psychology and have worked in the business sector in the US (I'm a US citizen) for the past 6 years, but have no teaching experience. I've heard a couple stories of Italian business people wanting to learn an English that is more catered to business.

In my situation, would you recommend paying the money to get CELTA/TEFL certified in order to try to teach English in Milano? If so, has anyone gotten certified at a school in Milano?

Also, what are other websites that may list jobs in Milano other than teaching English?

Thank you very much for any info you can offer!
eddytotti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing going for you is that you have a pulse and a sack of enthusiasm (plus other experiences). There are so many language schools in Milan which leads me to believe that with your credentials, you should be able to find a job without a TEFL cert. Sure, they can help to get your foot in the door but experience soon takes over. That's what people need at the end of the day.

Good luck friend Smile
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you planning on getting a work visa?
SullyK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that if I got certified I would hope to be working for a more legit school and would hopefully eventually get a work permit through the school.

However, if I don't get the certificate then I feel I would have to work for less established schools illegally to gain experience and then hopefully get the permit down the road.

Is this naive on my part?
brontolo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it is fairly naive of you to expect to get a work permit. US citizens have great difficulty working legally in Italy as it's fairly complicated for schools to get work permits for non-eu staff and there are generally enough eu teachers or US teachers willing to work without a work permit. Even well-known legit schools are unlikely to apply for one for you. Most US citizens who manage to work legally in Italy are of italian ancestry and have been able to claim italian citizenship.

As for the Tefl or CELTA, I would receommend doing it in order to try and get work at a more reputable school. I taught mainly business English in companies in Italy and still found the CELTA to be useful
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 'legit' school would not employ you without a work permit.

A school full of illegals would not apply for a work permit for you (and would be extremely unlikely to get one).

To get a work permit you must prove that there is no local (=EU) citizen who could do your job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: