Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOHAR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saregapadasa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: SOHAR Reply with quote

hello everyone.

I've been offered a job at Sohar University. This forum has been really helpful , but I need a bit more info about Sohar.

I'm going to be going there with my husband who is a Web and Graphic Designer. He is also studying to be a EFL teacher and should get the Trinity TESOL end of this month. Could anyone tell me if it's possible to look for a job once in Sohar. Would there be jobs in such a small town (it could be teaching English, computer skills, art, or even doing Web design)?

The University will manage to get him a visiting visa. Would he be able to work on such a visa? If not, would he be able to get a working permit once he has found a job?

He is actually British Indian...Do you know if the Indian and Pakistani School offer jobs to British nationals?

I really hope someone can help me because that's the only concern about going out there. My husband does not really want to be a house husband for two years right now Smile.

Thanks for this forum, it's really great.

Bupali (saregapadasa)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Sohar is not very big, so his choices will be slim. One detail that bothers me is that they will only give him a 'visit' visa?? I would not consider this job unless they provide him with a legitimate visa just as would be done for a 'wife.' I'm not sure exactly what a 'visit' visa is, but if it is a tourist visa, he could not work with it and there may be limitations on his stay. I know that you can not stay an unlimited amount of time on a tourist visa.

One option could be private lessons in either English language or computers. In particular if he enjoys working with children. But, I don't know how much money could be earned as this is not a particularly wealthy area.

VS
saregapadasa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your swift answer VS. The university told me a visiting visa is valid for 3 months. They said that if he gets a job, his employer will get him a resident visa like mine, valid for 2 years. I just don't understand why they would pay for his ticket as well as mine and for his health care if he'll only be able to stay for three months!!!
Do wives usually get resident visas?

I'll try to discuss it further with them.

Bupali
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Wives ALWAYS get full visas to stay as long as their husbands are employed, and all acceptable employers should be expected to provide them for any spouse. At least this is always true of 'westerners' --- I hope this is not an example of the all too common lesser treatment for 'non-westerners.'

I know one woman in your position whose husband was a licensed medical doctor and he was NEVER able to get either a job or a visa to stay through her 2 year contract. During that time they were only able to meet for holidays. And they were in Muscat where there are certainly more opportunities than in Sohar.

I would be very afraid to take the chance of his never being able to get a visa unless you are both comfortable with the idea of the possibility of having to live in separate countries.

VS
saregapadasa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi VS,

Was the woman's husband non-western? Do you think that's why he never found a job?

My husband is actually British. Do you really think they would treat our case differently just because of his colour (they saw his photograph)? I thought he might find a job in one of the Indian or Pakistani schools which use English as a medium.
He could even do voluntary work or teach privately as you suggested. But I'm not sure it would be legal for him to teach privetely with a visiting visa.

I am still in contact with the university and have told them about my concerns. I'm waiting for a reply.
I thought maybe he'd be able to keep renewing his visa. Maybe I'm wrong.

We'll see.
Thanks for your help VS.

Bupali
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: