Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Record number of hours taught per week!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Record number of hours taught per week! Reply with quote

I work in Naples for a large, corporate, franchise operation that Mrs Thatcher would have been proud of!
To give you a clue it begins with In ....and ends in Gua!!

My record is 35 contact teaching hours a week..but there are others...eyes bleary and bloodshot who have taught 37 and 38 hrs in a week.
Now the general consensus is that 30-40 minutes is the norm for lesson prep time....which means that we have been working an average of 55-60 hrs per week!

I know the norm in EFL is 25 hrs a week but obviously these educational experts( the two secretaries and our non EFL qualified employer) who arrange our timetable haven't heard of this!!

Is there anyone else in this part of the world required to churn out so many lessons per week!

I'd love to know!!!
crashartist1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the manager of a brand new language school in Turkey and I have 290 students, and I am currently the only teacher (soon to change in a week when I get two teachers) I teach, actually in the classroom teaching for an average of 47 hours in a week, plus I work at a University so add an extra 9 hours to that and I am in my center 64 hours a week (and I only work 6 days). However I am so familiar with the material my prep time is very minimal, but in two weeks I will start to teach only 20 hours a week, plus my 9 hours of working at the University.
Jetgirly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for the same company but average about five minutes of prep time per lesson. Photocopy all the resource sheets and read the notes on the way to class. NO teachers at my school put in more than five or ten minutes of prep per lesson. I don't understand why on earth you would need to prep that long for a lesson with this chain.
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because unlike you, we at our branch try and create interesting and communicative lessons based on more than skim reading and mass photocopying.

BTW Have you decided on a nationality yet or do you go round collecting citizenships!!
michellem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetgirly,

I didn't think that German could have dual citizenship. When did they change that rule? My sister in law was wondering because when she had her kids in Germany, they could not be registered as German citizens.

m
Jetgirly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never actually set foot in Germany so I don't really know what to tell you...

My grandfather moved to Canada before my father was born, but his citizenship application wasn't processed until after my father was born. Forty years later my father applied for citizenship, without ever having been to Germany. He went through the local German consulate and had no problems. Once my father was a German citizen I could become one too, and I also went through our local consulate. It can only be obtained through male lineage, so if my mother had been German and my father Canadian I would have been out of luck.
abyssiniangrl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: need to know Reply with quote

wonderboy,
is that your real face, or is that a random crazy lunatic picutre you posted?
just wondering
eddytotti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why it's sir jimmeh saville if i'm not mistaken?!

I've done upto 35 teaching hours in one week + prep. I think one of those days was 10 hours teacher, what a killer.
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abyssiniangirly....

Now then now then..... it be a photograph of Uncle Jim....urra urra!
Radio-one roadshow,jim will fix it for you,stoke mandeville,marathon marathon,god bless the duchess, scarborough scarborough, radio caroline..sweet caroline,urra ura urra urra!

Jingle jingle jangle rattle jewellery,Top of the pops this week is.....charity charity.....

Sir James Saville O.B.E
Hector_Lector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it happens... guys and gals...
eddytotti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister cried when she didn't get on the show, why did you turn her down jim? (be kind)
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did your sister want Jim to fix for her?

There were some pretty nasty rumours flying about regarding Jim and his propensity for children to sit on his knee... Maybe your sister had a lucky escape.
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now then now then... it so happens young gentlemen and gentlewomen that not everybody can be fixed by Jim......but come here young madam and sit here on Uncle Jimmys knee and whisper quietly into his ear what you want Jim to fix for you!
eddytotti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All she wanted to do was sit on Jim's knees...nothing needed fixing. Perhaps she wanted to go on just for the novelty factor. However, now that she is 25 i'm sure that Jim would be more willing to oblige (even if her want has faded).
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Jim still alive? He must be knocking on a bit by now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: