Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for help re: Health insurance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squiggs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Looking for help re: Health insurance Reply with quote

Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone might be able to point me in the right direction. I am a 27 year old Canadian male who is leaving to go teach in Japan next month. The only aspect not covered by the employer is health insurance. Any suggestions on reputable insurance providers and roughly how much it will cost for annual coverage. Any help is greatly appreciated. Wink
PAULH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squiggs

when getting health insurance you have three options:
(1) a private Japanese insurance plan through your employer (NOVA uses JMA and I know of a couple of people who are satisfied with them) Global Health Insurance and one or two others. If you are working full time you are supposed to be covered by law (employer pays the premium) but language schools get around this by only counting only your teaching hours (26.5) effectively treating you as part time labour.
(2) National health insurance- the government health plan which costs about 1500 yen a month in your first year, and you pay 10% of your medical bill when you go to the doctor. but in your second year expect to pay between 20,000-30,000 yen a month as premiums are based on your previous years income. Anyone with a gaijin card can enrol in the national scheme, even foreigners working at language schools.
(3) Offshore medical plan. I got off national health as i was paying 30,000 yen a month in premiums. The offshore (UK Medicare) cost about a third but you have to pay up front if you go to the doctor and get reimbursed by the insurance company.

If you plan to only stay in Japan for a year or less I would recommend the national health as premiums are cheap but skyrocket in the second year.
There are good private plans as well - if you go to the NOVA Teachers Union website (youc an do a search) and go to the link "what you need to know before you pack" and look under Health/JMA.

I am currently out of Japan at the moment on holiday and will be back in the country week after next. You can post here or email me if you have questions

[email protected]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: