Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
artist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Need advice Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm currently in negotiations with a school called the the "New England School." They are located in Gorzow and offering 2000 zlotys/month. Is this a decent wage? Any info on them would be appreciated.

I've also just received an offer from a school called "Cosmopolitan" located in Opole. What's strange is that I hadn't even interviewed with them yet and they emailed me with a contract and presumption that I'd accepted just because I said I'd like to set up an interview. What's the deal with that? It seems a bit shady...any tips?

Thanks so much! Your input is very much needed as I am new to job searching abroad.
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: A Little Advice Reply with quote

I have lived and taught in Poland. In your post,you do not mention if you are from an EU country or not.If you are not EU,you are going to have trouble getting the work permit for Poland.
I have never heard of either of the schools you mention,The New England School in Gorzow or Cosmopolitan in Opole.It is always a good idea to be careful with private schools anywhere in the world including Poland.At least ask them for former teachers you can contact.If they refuse to do that or are reluctant, forget them.
You are right.The Cosmopolitan one sounds especially questionable.Opole is a dump.
Be careful.Like a lot of private schools, they may tell you almost anything to get you to sign the contract and on the plane.Once you show up,things mysteriously start to change.In other words,a lot of them lie.
The 2000 z.'s salary you mentioned at The New England School is okay...not fantastic.Do they provide free housing(make sure to ask before you sign anything),If they do not provide housing,the 2000 z's is not very good.
Good luck.Be careful. Smile
artist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your quick reply.

i'm not from an eu country...both schools, however, have said visa assitance would be provided. and yes, new england school does provide free housing. from what i was told on the interview, gorzow is not a city, but a town, which makes me feel better about the 2000 zloty. clearly it will go a longer way than if i were in warsaw. and new england also sent me email addresses for two former teachers. but i forgot to mention one other thing...they had me call them for the interview...should this be sending off alarms? granted, we interviewed on a weekend....what's your take?
minnie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Artist,

If in doubt then I'd look elsewhere. IH have quite a few vacancies in Poland (check out their website) but you have to have a TEFL qualification. The pay is not good but housing and flight is paid for and the experience will be worth it!

I know for my first job abroad i want to go with a reputable company that I've heard good things about

hope this helps
ibasiram

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
I totally agree with BNIX. No school is guaranteed to be paradise. I haven't heard of either school. 2000 pln should be enough to live on, but you won't save much if anything.
IH do have vacancies, but a little warning - don't go to IH Poznan.... have heard sad stories about that place Crying or Very sad the other IH schools are very good, pay will be lower, but you will learn more there.
By the way,
Poland is great, people are lovely. Enjoy Very Happy
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also haven't heard of the two schools you've mentioned. 2000 isn't a lot, but it is possible to live on that. If you can find private students, that would be great. Trust me, you should have no problem finding privates.

I'm an American, and have been living here for 6 years. Don't worry about problems getting a visa/work permit. I was just at the foreigner's office to get my temporary residency card extended for 2 years (hopefully). There was absolutely no mention of any problems because I'm an American. I'll let you know what the decision is in the middle of August though.. You never know! The laws change quite rapidly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: