Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Private Lessons in Italy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderwoman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Private Lessons in Italy Reply with quote

Hey all,
I have a few questions about giving private English lessons in Italy. (I have a CELTA but don't want to teach at a school at the moment).

I'm going to be studying in Perugia and wondered if anyone knew what the going rate for lessons was. Or even the rate in Rome or Milan or elsewhere, which I can then adjust. Is 15 Euro an hour too much?

For those who've given lessons, what has been the most effective way of getting lessons? Posting in bars or internet cafes?

What do your lessons usually cover? Are they usually conversational English or TOEFL prep or everything?

Has anyone had any problems with the police? I'm an American but I'll have a permesso di soggiorno per studio, which as people on the forum had said and which I've confirmed online (http://www.immigrazioneinumbria.it/faq_4.htm) should allow me to work 20 hours a week, although this wouldn't be "subordiante work."

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
brontolo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught privately while I was also working at a language school in Torino.

2 years ago, I was charging at least 20 euro an hour, more if it involved a lot of preparation (or, cheekily, if I thought they would pay more i.e. non-students Twisted Evil )

It took me a while to get private students. The best way is really through word of mouth, although posting ads at the uni or halls of residence might work. I'd stay away from putting adverts in bars because you never know who will respond.

I covered lots of different things. Several students wanted exam prep for 1st certificate or other exams. They generally needed lots of listening and speaking practice rather than reading or writing. I had a couple of students who just wanted conversation too.

Not sure about problems with the police as I'm British though generally if you keep your head down you'll be fine (I think, don't quote me!)

Hope this helps a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: