Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for a bit of insight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s_marvin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: looking for a bit of insight Reply with quote

Hello, I am looking for some advice about my first time teaching ESL. I would like to give you (as in the plural you) a bit of information about myself and what I am looking for and hopefully someone with some insight can share some advice.

I am a recent graduate (2003) from the University of Winnipeg in Canada. I have completed a Bachelor of Arts in Geography and a Bachelor of Arts in English (both three year degrees). I would like to teach in an area that is not industrial, and am hoping to make enough money to pay off my student loans relatively quickly. I am planning on teaching for the next 3-4 years with some breaks to explore and enjoy neighbouring countries. I don't have a tendancy to spend all that much money in nightlife activities, so I'm pretty sure I can save a good portion of the money that I would be earning. I really enjoy the coast, the ocean is somewhere I would love to be close to. I prefer natural sightseeing compared to nightlife and am interested in new cultures. I have been thinking about Jeju Island in Korea. I would be willing to teach anywhere, whether it be Asia, Europe, Latin America, Africa etc.

I am looking for advice on areas that have competative wages with good benefits and are safe and secure

Advice as to how much money I could expect to earn in various places with the type of qualifications that I have

Good coastal locations with decent wages

Non-industrial areas

Natural sight-seeing (ie caving, mountains, beaches, walking, diving areas etc)

And any other insight that might be valuable

Thanks very much. Robyn
lajzar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, youre looking for good wages, suitable for paying off a loan. That cutrs things down to Korea, Taiwan, or Japan, as you have no efl experience. All three have coast locations in convenient reach of almost everywhere, although beach quality varies.

You say you're looking for safe and secure. All three are relatively similar in terms of physical safety. In terms of job security, Japan is far better than Korea (I have no personal experience of Taiwan, it seems somewhere in between judging from reports).
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Good Luck Reply with quote

You might have some problems finding a place that will fill all of your "wants".You have to be realistic in this business.
Really,the only places where you can make enough money to pay off student loans are some venues in Asia(Taiwan,Korea,MAYBE a few places in China)...and the Middle East.Because of your gender and the current political situation in the Middle East,that one is probably not much of an option right now.So that leaves Asia,if you want to pay off the loans.Latin America,eastern Europe,etc.do not pay enough to pay off student loans with their salaries...
Jeju-do(Jeju in Korea) might fill the bill for what you want.But if you wind up taking a job at a hakwon(private school)...well,there are all sorts of problems with them.Check out the Korean Discussion Section and the Job Journal(Korea) for lots of info on various schools.

I think you are going to have to decide on some priorites.Do you want to make money or have a vacation? There is nothing wrong with a vacation....but.....people often wind up working places they do not want to...if they want to make any money.At least in this business.
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Yeah,Japan,Too Reply with quote

L.is right. Japan is also a possibility.I forgot that one.So basically,you are limited to Taiwan,Korea or Japan. If you want to earn enough to pay off loans.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some info on Japan.

Standard salary is 3,000,000 yen/year for jobs that you are qualified for (language conversation schools). Figure on saving about 70,000 yen per month if you are relatively thrifty, so you can put this 70,000 toward any student loans, and subtract what you want/have to pay to determine how much you can ultimately save.

If you can land outside private contracts to teach, your income will obviously be higher, but getting privates takes time, so don't expect to have this for about 6 months or more.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: priorities.........! Reply with quote

BNIX said:
Quote:
L.is right. Japan is also a possibility.I forgot that one.So basically,you are limited to Taiwan,Korea or Japan. If you want to earn enough to pay off loans.

OR... you could go to an interesting country and spend part of your youth (for that is what you've got, in additon to debts)---in a way to remember....
C'mon, get some priorities, winnipeg! try Cambodia--Finland--Indonesia!!
In four years you can go round Earth several times over!
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Khmer is Right Reply with quote

Of course,khmer is right.Some people choose to go where the money is not so good,but where there are other advantages. There is nothing wrong with that,of course.Unless,of course, your creditors start demanding their money.It is your decision of course.Of course,if you teach somewhere in Asia where you make some money, you can ALSO travel to other places like Cambodia,etc. and have the best of both worlds.Well, sort of...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: