Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kuwait Salary

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KMD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Kuwait Salary Reply with quote

Hi All,
I am IT (ERP) senior consultant with 4 years experience and Masters degree. and currently applied for job in Kuwait. The current offer is 750 KD, i am not sure what other beneifts will be included. I have a family (2 kids and wife).
Anyone know from where i can get some idea about IT salaries in Kuwait. Googled but not luck. Also checked other posts about living cost in Kuwait, according to which 750 KD for family is not really great.
Your help will be appreciated.
Thanks
KMD
QatarChic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KMD

Ok, I have no idea of what kind of salary you should be looking at as I work in EFL.... but I just converted 750 KD into Qatari Riyals...and that comes to over 9000 QR...which isn't very good especially if you would have to pay rent from that, as well as school fees etc...Kuwait is quite expensive (not as much as Qatar)...and remember that you would have to pay your kids school fes from that etc...If I were you, I wuld ask for a higher salary or consider another gulf country...

PS This is a site for teachers so you may find that very few people here will be able to help you. Good luck with whatever you decide to do Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KMD,

As qatarchic has pointed out, no one on this board can tell you about whether their salary offer is good or bad. It is similar to what an MA in TEFL would get. But, the big question mark is what are your benefits. That would only be a liveable salary for a family of 4 if you are provided with a full benefit package: a furnished flat of sufficient size, flight payments for all, school fees sufficient to cover most of usual costs for your kids (which could run almost 3 months of your salary for two kids in a decent international school).

You need to know your full benefit package...

VS
KMD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qatarchic and VS, thanks for the input. VS, u r right, i must get details in terms of benefits.
Guys if you know any Kuwaiti salary survery web site or relating to IT please share.

regards,

KMD
Fred Bilbo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Kuwait Salary Reply with quote

You need to find out what is the package on offer, however, the bottom line is even if they are providing, housing, schooling airfares, (which I doubt) KD 750 is not a good salary, In fact it is poor. More than half would be taken just to cover schooling and airfares. IMHO don't settle for less than KD1,000 + housing + schooling, etc
riyadh1974

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Kuwait Pay Reply with quote

Although not in computing, I worked for 6 years in Kuwait as an EFL instructor and I can safely say that Kuwait pays terrible salaries....considering how rich the country is! Kuwaiti employers ... particularly those owning Institutes, are usually incredibly stingy and, in many cases, unprofessional.

It seems that salaries in Kuwait have not improved since I started there in 1997. When I left in 2002, my salary had increased by a pathetic 100 KD over 6.5 years! I'd say, 1000 KD+housing+family tickets is a minimum...but I can't imagine they'll pay that!

I knew of many who worked at Kuwait University and frankly their salary was an insult to their qualifications!

Saudi offers good salaries. When working as an ELT in Saudi, I was making double my Kuwait salary (700 KD) +3 tickets+shared car+8 weeks leave+free accommodation!

It's a shame that in many places, teachers are so undervalued in ELT!

Good luck, but you mustn't accept 750 KD! Try Saudi Arabia.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case it has become lost in the thread, our OP is not in ESL, but is an IT person.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: