Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NO DEGREE? NO TEACHING CERT? STAY HOME!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C76

Location: somewhere between beauty and truth...in Toronto. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Addendum Reply with quote

RE the original debate.

Before I forget... for clarification:

C76 wrote:

I know what you are saying by indicating that "pimped" means "w-h-o-r-e". But in terms of slang, it also refers to one who is being EXPLOITED. Plain and simple.

If PT was insulting anyone, I think it's the icky ESL employers. THEY are the pimps. There are a lot of jerks out there, looking for prey. Especially newbies with good intentions. It's not the teachers' fault they're being taken advantage of.
woza17

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Linda
After reading your posts. I would like to send a copy of my friends book that she had published in April this year. Its called "In Moral Danger" by Barbara Biggs. I think you would relate to a lot of the things in her book which is an account of her life. If you are interested you can check out her website www.barbarabiggs.com .
Cheers Carol
Linda L.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol:

That was so kind of you!

I ordered the book on line. Thanks.
Smile

Linda
Linda L.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

READ THIS POST OF PANAMA TEACHER AND MEET A REAL W-H-O-R-E MASTER, THE REAL PANAMA TEACHER --

PanamaTeacher
Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:09 pm Post subject:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
krunch you've got it right; i don't know how it is in china, but when I got here i treated the girls as if they were americans and I got used and abused. now i do as the local men do (dog the women) and i am far better off (and) i save el dinero. as w.c. fields put it never give a sucker an even break. At first i wasted time and money trying to find a decent girlfriend. Then I got a tip from another guy and i tried it. The plan is to have two ads in the local paper one for a maid ($150 a month) and the other for a part-time asst. ($75 a month). I interviewed over 100 girls in a year (they had to be between 18-25) and I hired 15 or 20. none worked for me longer than 2 weeks and I never spent much. Best time i ever had.
dan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i followed this thread, as i do most others, for purpose of amusement. the post immediately preceding mine, however, is extremely distressing. this guy is a menace to society. what is even more suprising is that he boasted about it on a public forum. i spent two years in china and i can testify that losers like him, unfortunately, abound and give the decent people living and working there a bad reputation.
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan tell me about testing girls in thailand:

Quote:
you wont have any trouble meeting ladies, as im sure you know. you might have problems meeting the type you are looking for, however. best bet is to use common sense and trust your instincts. its been my experience in thailand and elsewhere in asia is that you can spot an opportunist a mile off in the distance. if and when you are a bit leary, there are ways that you can, well, "test" the girl. this sounds terrible, and often can be, but its better to be safe and certain than be filled with regret later on. be vigilant about a girl who hints at a desire to leave her location, or complains about having to work for starters. one potential problem is that many (and i mean many!) thai women have, at one time or another, engaged in prostitution. most of them had little choice and none are proud of the fact, but its an issue for some foreigners (thankfuly thai men cut them slack on this since they realize that thailand provides little opportunity for women, especially the uneducated which a prepondance of them are) being in a remote place will actual be somewhat to your advantage as most women with real ambition move to bangkok or chiang mai where the pluckings are more ripe and plentyful.

Why don't you take your own advice:

Quote:
for those self-righteous few that criticized him: go watch Opera, campaign for your favorite GOPer, read books by George Will or do whatever it is that you do to feel morally superior. if foolsday wanted some self-help, im sure he wouldve asked for it.

Quote:
just make sure to present both sides to the situation (as much as you can), and do your best to remain objective. or, better yet, play devil's advocate while responding to each charge, opinion or "fact" your student offers. this way you will help enable your students to understand how complicated the world is and enable them to conceive of it and their relationship to it in "shades of grey" instead of seeing the world as a binary place consisting of absolutes, i.e. right/wrong, good/bad, true/false, etc.

My post was part of a thread where everyone was joking and having fun. That was my purpose. The person who took the post and pasted it here wrote this in the original thread:

Panama Teacher have you not heard that there is a grain of truth in every lie and that humor masks much?

Just being able to make up such a "humorous" story about abusing women is itself a window to your mind. I for one do not believe that you were joking when you made the post. I think you are just the basic coward, who now tries to hide behind humor as an excuse for what you now find out is an unacceptable attitude.

I respect her opinion and yours. I don't like being unjustly labelled.

Respectfully yours
dan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: there's a difference Reply with quote

the advice i gave about girls in thailand, although probably a little harsh for some, isnt predatory like puting false ads in the paper promising gainful employment only to use these 'interviews' to seduce with women under false pretenses. however, learning that your post was taken out of context (as you did parts of mine), i respectfully apologize. im sure your not as scummy as i initially read you. or desperate. still, you'll notice that duplicity was never part of my advice on meeting women in thailand and finding what their motivations are - well intentioned or not. try reading closer next time. still, i admire the tenacity you exhibited in researching much of what i wrote. probably more contradictions than youve listed here. if you put this much time into meeting a women, im sure you neednt resort to want ads - and false classifieds, at that!
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice dan
greenwillow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad I decided to join these forums?????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: