Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming to Kuwait, Job, Accomodations, etc. Please Help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seekpeace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Coming to Kuwait, Job, Accomodations, etc. Please Help! Reply with quote

Hello All,

I am planning to leave for Kuwait next week and have a few questions.
The offer is for $2250 for teaching English at a school, with no accomodations paid for family. My family is four. What do you guys think of this for living in Kuwait?

Also, since they dont provide housing, we've been looking at hotels, etc for when we first arrive. I read something called serviced apartments, that can be paid for daily, but they call them motels. I didn't find pricing or anything for them. Does anyone know about this? They just seemed more affordable than a hotel. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I had a question about the beach water. Veiled Sentiments if you're around could you reply. I remember you saying soomething about you wouldnt step foot in them, but then i read on one site about some beach, mesillah or something, and they say its so nice, etc. you have to pay to enter. do you know about it, or are all beaches off limits in your book? please advise. thanks! Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Seekpeace,

I can't tell you anything about 'motels' - but I am sure that there are serviced apartments, though I fear that they will be very expensive. With the relatively low salary and no benefits, you might want to go on your own first and find a flat... then bring your family. (As I mentioned to someone else, what about school fees for your kids? will they be attending where you teach for free?) You will have to live very frugally to make it on such a salary for four.

As to the level of water pollution, I never saw anyone enter the water on the Salmiya beach - though I did find sewage pipes feeding into the Gulf. BTW, that is a very nice area of town. I suspect that there are people who use some of the beaches. Personally I wouldn't, but everyone has to judge their own tolerance of safety levels in something like this. I had friends who were divers, but they went far off shore around islands. On something like this, it is best to check with people there - I would consult the health authorities and see what they have to say about it. (not in the newspaper, but privately... ie, do they let their kids swim in it?) Plenty of places have pools which I assume have some charge.

Good Luck...

VS
Fred Bilbo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Cost of living in Kuwait Reply with quote

Please think twice about coming to Kuwait with a family of 4 and a salary of $2250. you cannot live here on such a salary, Accomodation alone will cost you $850 unfurnished, schooling and airfares, transport, you will need a car. I don't think such salaries are realistic in kuwait where prices are rising almost monthly.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In KSA accommodation is provided. Why not in Kuwait ? Is it wise to take this job ?

Whast about school fees ? Medical ? Tickets ?
Zaina

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big mistake. That salary is far too low for a family of four. You should have negotiated housing at the very least because even the cheapest apartment (150KD a month) is a one bedroom, one kitchen, and one den kind of deal that is unfurnished and extremely cramped.

Reconsider coming if you haven't already done so. Kuwait is not a good country to come to anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: