Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

moving to France

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcunning

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: moving to France Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I am an American currently living in Norway with my French boyfriend. We have a PACS (civil union) together, and plan to settle down, get married, etc. in France. I have a double degree (BA) in English (concentration literature) and French. I plan to pursue a Master's degree in France, and would like to teach English concurrently or maybe just go ahead and work full-time for a couple years and see if I like it. I do not have a CELTA, but plan to enroll in the Paris program when we move. I would be searching for positions in the Paris area or possibly Toulouse (it all really depends on my acceptance to a grad program and his job opportunities, as his line of work-software engineering-will be our most stable means of support).
I have read with interest the thread about becoming a lecteur at a university. One person said that a maitrise is needed, and considering the standardization that the schools are going through now, this would mean a Master's, as far as I understand. Somebody else, however, mentioned getting a graduate degree while working as a lecteur. So do I need an MA or not? Is the CELTA necessary?
As for teaching in general, is it possible for somebody in my situation to become an English teacher at a French lycee? I have had various answers from French friends, ranging from "I think you need a maitrise" to "you need a degree in education" to "just study for the concours and sign up." Or maybe that's not the best way to go?
I would prefer to be in a situation like my French teachers in Texas; the only kids who signed up were interested and willing to learn French, rather than forced. I would also like to teach at an advanced level, like a literature class rather than the basics. Please tell me if that's not likely/ridiculous/possible/possible with more education etc.
Sorry for the rather long post, but I don't want to make the mistake of offering too little information.
Teresa
NMB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The universities are free to individually evaluate diploma equivalencies, so some may require lecteurs to possess a Master's (presumably equating it to the old ma�trise), while others don't. I've experienced this while applying to graduate programs, as well. Generally, Paris III equates the American BA to a Licence 2, while many others (including Paris IV) accept it as a Licence 3. A few rare ones even accept it as a ma�trise.

I'm a lectrice, and I don't have a Master's, yet. Nor do I have a CELTA. You'll just need to contact the universities you're interested in, and each one will specify their requirements.
Tcunning

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: what about lycee? Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I have family in Louisiana and Houston, so I've been preoccupied.
I will definitely check out the lectrice positions, but I was also wondering about teaching at a lycee. Does anyone know anything about that?
Thank you
Luder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a job at a private lyc�e, but a full-time job in a public secondary school is available only to European citizens--most of them French, and even they have had to pass a competitive exam.

You can, in theory at least, find "vacataire" work in a public school. A vacataire is usually a long-term substitute for someone on maternity or sick leave. The hourly pay is good, but you get no benefits and are limited to two hundred hours a year. You also have to have a main employer, for whom you must teach at least three hundred hours a year (if your main job isn't teaching, then you have to work at least a thousand hours). The reason for this odd requirement is that the public school system doesn't want to have to pay your unemployment when your two hundred hours are up.

Oh, and since English is required in schools all over the country, you'll get plenty of kids who are in class only because they have to be. All the same, good English or poor, interested in the language or not, I've generally found my kids unspoiled and even charming.
chinwubachu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there,

I have lived in france for 4 years my parents 10 yrs....the situation is not so good at the moment( if it ever was) remember the employment rate in France is not good. also remeber it is VERY difficult to get work in France if you are Not French.

Wages are not great either... there may be reasonable offers but after you have paid all your taxes i assure you it is very little take home.

many people come to France to find work but often find it very hard, the more you earn the higher taxes you pay ( french revolution)

there is also loads of paperwork which is a nightmare to get through. the paperwork in france is terrible. - personally i would advise against it right now. France is great for retirement and holidays.....living there is a different story altogether
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: