Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAMBRIDGE INSTITUTE... a year on

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woody667

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: CAMBRIDGE INSTITUTE... a year on Reply with quote

Well, after a year of working there what can I say? The Institute is fairly good with respect to the pay and the accomodation provided. Native Speakers get a minimum salary of 450 Bahraini Dinars a month. Don't go for anything less...as with all institutes, business is business and these guys will try and get you for cheap. Some people can negociate salaries upwards of 550 BD...but you have to present a REALLY professional image before they fork out that kind of money.

Exclamation The only single WARNING I'd give to anyone thinking of working there is to watch out for the REALLY BAD office politics going on. If you like soap operas and always wanted to be in one THEN take this job. There is a weird policy where teachers who produce material are in a major rush to stick their names on the hand-outs, exams, or even resource room notes. Don't think about working as a team here as a few individuals jealously guard their sphere of power and consider self-promotion a virute. If arrogant mercenaries get your nerves don't work here. Watch out for the middle management as they are the chief culprits...and watch your back. Exclamation

Having said that, you will find the hours are very good. The students are friendly and provided you don't do anything outrageous like eating ants in the classroom you should be ok. Bahrain is a liberal gulf state but AVOID religion like the plague -- even if your students want you to talk about it.

The Institute has recently opened new branches right across Bahrain. So you might end up doing split shifts in one branch and then have to be shuttled off to another for a class you aren't going to make on time... the reason? Poor transportation. If on the other hand you can drive, take the rent a car option as it will save you time and your hairline.

Razz Good Pay for Native Speakers [450 BD MINIMUM...negociate!]
Razz Good housing - in city centre, very good location
Razz Pleasant students
Razz First class admininstration

Mad Too much factionalised rivalry...need UN to go in a sort it out
Mad Sometimes pay is up to a fortnight late
Mad Resource room is woefully inadequate especially computer aided teaching materials
Mad middle management,...wear garlic around your neck! Twisted Evil
Mark100

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salary you mention is only marginally more than what you can make in somewhere like Thailand!!!
Quite frankly you can make triple that and more at Aramco and you could still live in Bahrain if you desired.
Accepting those sort of wages in a country which is relatively expensive just doesn't make sense.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: low Reply with quote

The figures you quote here seem pretty low to me. Salaries on the other end of the casueway in Dammam/Dharan/Al-Khobar are twice or three times what you quote and Saudi Arabia is a cheaper place to live than Bahrain. Many employers here now give multiple-exit visas. So why work for pennies in Bahrain ?

Last edited by scot47 on Tue May 20, 2003 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

450BD is a joke of a salary. 550BD is a joke, and you've got to look "really professional" for that. And on top of it they expect you to work split locations.

Remember that the minimum wage in England works out at around 420BD an hour. And the beer's cheaper in the UK.
nimra_ghalat

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make over $1,000 an hour as minimum wage in Britain? Shocked In the U.S. it's only $5.50 or so.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: low salaries Reply with quote

I am still amazed that someone would go and work in Bahrain for so little.
You would need to multiply this figure by three to attract me !

Work in the EP of KSA and you will make 10,000 riyals a month (equaling 1000 Bahraini Dinars) And you can still spend your weekends in Bahrain !!!!
Cdaniels

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Conversions Reply with quote

United States minimum wage- from wikipedia.org
"$10,300 per year ($5.15 per hour for a 40 hour work week based on 50 work weeks annually) for the last eight years (from 1997 to 2005)"
Certain states have higher minimum wages than the federal minimum
Service workers (waiters and waitresses) in the US, who can expect tips, can be paid less than minimum wage.
This makes Bahrain sound pretty good Smile
About office politics- there is a old joke in American colleges and universities. "Why are the rivalries and fights so bitter in academia? Because there is so little at stake!" -this joke is much more humorous after you've experienced it first-hand. Twisted Evil
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't compare the salary for a non-high school graduate in the US to teaching salaries in the Gulf... apples and oranges.

This is slave wages... and an ancient thread from 2 years ago...

VS
Cdaniels

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Old thread Reply with quote

Stephen Jones wrote:

Remember that the minimum wage in England works out at around 420BD an hour. And the beer's cheaper in the UK.

Its an old thread, I know. Sorry, I guess I'm kinda trolling. Embarassed It would be nice to get some updates on Bahrain wages, though. I'm afraid nimr_ghalat's correction of Stephen Jones only further confused me about exchange rates
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still puzzled as to why someone would choose to work for third-world wages in Bahrain while Saudi is offering a living wage that allows you to save !
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just noticed the error. I meant 420BD a month British minimum wage. It's actually probably higher.
tannhauser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: alumni Reply with quote

Hi,

I worked here and heard that the school closed after the owner Abdulaziz Jamsheer passed away. It would be nice to hook up with former staff of Cambridge Institute - if you are about PM me.

Tannhauser
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guaranteed income for a single pensioner in UK is currently 572 pounds a calendar month with reasonable housing costs covered. And a free bus pass, plus free medication.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: