Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cold calling universities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfred_utton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: cold calling universities Reply with quote

I have recently gotten my SIT TESOL certification and am trying to get a job in SJ, CR. For a complete write up of my situation, please see my posting, have certification. seeking advice, in the Newbie forum.

I have a list of universities provided to me by the director of the SIT TESOL certificate course I did here (which I loved). The is several pages long but only contains phone and fax numbers. I attempted to call a couple of universities yesterday but it didn�t go well because my Spanish is not very good.

Is cold calling a good idea? I just want to find out if they have a position open for an Engish teacher and if I should e�mail or fax in my resume.

I have a list of questions I tried to use yesterday:

Soy un professor de ingles. Me gustaria hablar con alguien sobre un trabajo.

�Tiene e�mail?

Me gustaria ensenar alli.

Are these questions any good? Are there others that might be more effective?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: go in person Reply with quote

Generally speaking, anywhere in Latin America you'll do better by showing up in person, resume in hand, over the telephone call. Shake hands, ask questions, let them know you'll be back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Twisting in the Wind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you get a copy of the book, Guide to Correspondence in Spanish if it is still in print. I bought it in the US about 20 years ago. It might be on Amazon. It gives templates of good business letters pertaining to the situation you are involved in (job-hunting) and other. You can copy the model letter(s) and email them to the appropriate individuals/ institutions. It will make your Spanish appear better than it may actually be Very Happy and will remove the stress of having to cold call (shudder) in Spanish (greater shudder). It is a very useful book if you plan to continue being involved in Latin America. My time-worn copy is cover-less, dog-earred and definitely has seen better days, but the use I have gotten from it was incalculable to me. It goes over proper addresses/salutations, letter beginnings, letter endings, and appropriate benedictions in Spanish. It gives you exercises for practice. It is divided into two sections: "Cartas comerciales" and "Cartas personales."

Hope you can find it!
Twisting in the Wind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: cold calling universities Reply with quote

alfred_utton wrote:

Soy un professor de ingles. Me gustaria hablar con alguien sobre un trabajo.

�Tiene e�mail?

Me gustaria ensenar alli.

Are these questions any good? Are there others that might be more effective?

Lo corecto es "Soy profesor de..." ((not "Soy un profesor de...")

Since "ensenar" also means "to show" I personally would say "Me gustaria
ser maestro ahi blah blah blah..."

Ask if they have e-mail, then compose a nice letter in Spanish from the Spanish correpondence guide.Your "written Spanish skills" will impress the heck out of them. Laughing

Omigosh. I can't get out of the boldface. The book is available on Amazon. I checked.
alfred_utton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I shouldn't have switched from guaro to beer to rum last night. but I didn't expect to be using my brain today.

okay, so I'll get a copy of that book. but until I get it, should I continue to write my cover letters in English?

say I go to a university, to drop off my resume and cover letter, whom do I ask to talk to? where should I leave it?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: two points here Reply with quote

Alfred,

Don't take this the wrong way, but I get the impression that you need to gather up a little courage and independence if you want to be considered for any teaching position. Your questions, I understand, come from sincerity, but my thinking is now that either you are far too worried or are relying a little too much on our advice out here.

First, always do your cover letters in English. You are more than likely going to be hired by a foreign born native speaker or at the very least someone who has a good command of English. Don't worry about using Spanish at this stage.

Second, getting hired is as much about who you know as what you know. If you just drop off your resume/CV, it is going to go in the pile of resumes/CVs and gradually work its way to the bottom of the pile as more people do as you do. You need to make an impression. Go in, ask lots of questions, get names, make appointments to meet with those names, and follow-up as much as you can. By follow up, I don't mean constant calling to ask if the job is yours yet or not. I mean following up by talking to other people in the department, talking to other staff, checking on school events and calendars, anything you can do to stay noticed.

I'm assuming you are near SJ an plan to seek a position in SJ. Being there gives you an advantage over those seeking by email....use that advantage.

As someone who does a lot of hiring let me tell how the decision to hire works. It is almost always timing. The call comes in - we need a teacher! HR (that's me) looks at the database or the paper pile scanning for the few things that are most necessary. Availability. Qualifications. All the other resumes/CVs probably have qualifications, so you should play your availability to stand out. The easiest way to do this, as I think you did already on your resume is to put in bold at the top of your resume your name, nationality, and local address and contact info. Make it easy for the HR person to see you in the pile. Right below the contact info, your objective and qualifications should lead the HR person to pick up the phone and call you.

Relax, be yourself, but most of all, be around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Twisting in the Wind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: two points here Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
First, always do your cover letters in English. You are more than likely going to be hired by a foreign born native speaker or at the very least someone who has a good command of English. Don't worry about using Spanish at this stage.

I stand corrected. Laughing

Listen to Guy. He's the expert.
He gave lots of good advice in his post.

I'd still go ahead and get the book, tho.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours was good advice Twisty...everyone should learn Spanish while in Latin America (note to Paulie). I just don't think Aflie should kill himself over it at this point in the game. He has more things to worry about! Laughing

You are in LA now? Como andas alli? Hablan chicano verdad? Watchala bien como hablan...
Twisting in the Wind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

You are in LA now? Como andas alli? Hablan chicano verdad? Watchala bien como hablan...

Pos, aqui estoy, es cierto.

Pos, si. Hablo "Spanglish," como la mayoridad de los latinos aca no hablan bien el castillano.

No conozco "Watchala?" Que quiere decir?

Andale, pos.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a teacher working for us from LA some time back...she is of mixed Mexican/European descent. We had a lot of fun with her Spanish...Anglicized but unique to LA I'm told. The English verb to watch, she turned into 'watchear'...

Que andas haciendo papito?

Pos, 'stoy watchando the tv
Twisting in the Wind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, ok. Ironically, the words I tend not to understand are anglicized Spanish words, or Spanglish.
Someone can say a whole sentence to me in Spanish and the one word I'll get caught up on is the Spanglish one. Embarassed

Yes, the Spanish here is very unique. And alot of gang slang, too.

I have a close Argentine friend and she and I lament the "Californication" of the beautiful Spanish language.

"Twistie," she says, "The language that you and I know is disappearing..." Except she'll say it in her thick, Argentine brogue. So sad. So sad. Boo hoo. Crying or Very sad
refazenda

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Being there Reply with quote

I also concur with Guy - just being there gives you a huge advantage. We came to El Salvador and had a bit of a hiccup in our original plan, but instead of going immediately home we decided (at the eleventh hour) to stay for two or three weeks to see what would happen. We figured the worst thing would be that we'd have an extended vacation, then go home. In that short time I had several interviews, and qound up with a last-minute position for four months. My husband then got a position a month later at the same school. We then parlayed our connections and recently-earned references into new jobs for 2005. We're doing great, and glad we took the leap of faith in deciding to stay.

Staying connected with people is the key. Stay organized. Follow up when people tell you do but don't bug them incessantly. We went from famine to feast with jobs. Yes, we are qualified, but we were here, and that made all the difference.

Good luck!
tesolitis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: contacting universities Reply with quote

Very interesting. I wonder if the Experienced could elaborate a little on these 2 things:

Who is the decision maker and when can s/he be reached personally without appointment through letter or email (never read or received), after you "cleaned the door handle" - you are right in the building. Best practice - valid for CR. What day time - to start.. .

Don't pester the person, and don't loose either. Values and perception might be different than what one is used to. Any clues on this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: