Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Kuwait soon - advise needed :D
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sara Avalon

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stokoe wrote:
Hi Local kuwait,

Thanks. So your recommendation is either Fastelco card or Ultra Power.

Which one has faster internet speed? Any issues with clarity of the sound when u use Ultra Power?

So i can buy the fastelco card from any supermarket? How about ultra power, must we register at the website only?

sorry for so many question

Thanks
Christine

The cards are only 56k max.. but really only 48k. Yes, you can buy it from any supermarket or even small corner stores. You just ask the cashier or in the larger supermarkets you'll see a small kiosk with phone cards and internet cards. It doesn't really matter which you use. You just create a modem connection on your desktop and enter in the info you scratch out on the back of the card. I personally liked the 5KD Fastelco cards. More reliable in my opinion. 1KD tends to disconnect a lot.

If you're planning on getting a land line that you can attach an internet connection to, you can get ADSL from Qualitynet for about 380+ kd. They have a deal out and it's getting cheaper every year.
stokoe

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Localkuwait,

wow, 380KD for a land line? That's expensive? Is it for unlimited broadband access for a year, What would be the speed?

In singapore, we pay about KD170 per year for unlimited internet access with a download speed of 6.5Mbps.

Localkuwait, can advise where can i get more information for broadband access? So used to a live here with fast internet access that its a necessity already.

Thanks again for your kind assistance.

rgds
Christine
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stokoe,

I expect that the 380KD is just for the DSL. You would have to pay a regular monthly charge for the land line telephone.

One does get so spoiled with high speed. But, in these small countries with a limited population that wants internet - and even fewer that will pay for high speed - and usually only one provider in the country - it gets very expensive. (I only pay about 100 KD a year in my rural area of America)

It's supply and demand. This should change eventually.

VS
stokoe

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi VS and localkuwait.

Thanks for the information. I have forwarded them to my husband.

Really glad for this forum because there is no other ppl we can turn to for all these information. Appreciate all your help to make the move a smooth one.

Thanks again and i look forward to see you when i arrive Laughing

Best regards
Christine
stokoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Need some advise again especially with housing.

Not sure if we are being realistic. But is there any decent 3 bedroom apt for 350KD that comes with pool, gym and broadband access?

My husband has been looking ard for 1 month already and also engage agent to help but he has not found anything?

Appreciate if anyone in the forum can help give me some ideas.

Thanks and regards
Christine
Myshkin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching and waiting for a response to stokoe. Actually, I don't require a gym, pool, or golf course for the 350, but can you get decent 3 bedroom furnished units for this? If so, how scarce/plentiful are they? If not, what would be the going rate for a 3 bed/furnished flat? If flats don't come furnished, how do expats handle furnishings? Do employees give an allowance for this?

Thanks,
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that rents are much higher now. I expect that you might find an unfurnished 3 bedroom, but not with a pool, gym and broadband...

The main problem with answers is that at this time of the year there is no one in Kuwait or most other places in the gulf. People don't start coming back until very end of August.

VS
stokoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Myshkin,

sorry, been busy settling down and had not look at this forum.

With regards to the apartment, we only manged to find an unfurnished 2 bed for 350KD in shaab area. Not sure if we have overpaid so appreciate if people in the forum can advise me. It does come with a small gym, small pool, covered parking and internet access.

There is only the 2 of us so we decided to squeeze abit and use the other bedroom as a storeroom/ironing room etc.

We only wanted a unfurnished apt because we brought along most of our old staff. Nevertheless, there was still a long list of things to buy like washer, dryers, cookers, curtains & rails, etc to complete the furnishing. its defintely not cheap having to setup everything from scratch. So unless u already have a lot of items or buying the things to keep then maybe its better to get a furnished apartment?
Zaina

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stokoe wrote:
Hi Myshkin,

With regards to the apartment, we only manged to find an unfurnished 2 bed for 350KD in shaab area. Not sure if we have overpaid so appreciate if people in the forum can advise me. It does come with a small gym, small pool, covered parking and internet access.

There is only the 2 of us so we decided to squeeze abit and use the other bedroom as a storeroom/ironing room etc.

We only wanted a unfurnished apt because we brought along most of our old staff. Nevertheless, there was still a long list of things to buy like washer, dryers, cookers, curtains & rails, etc to complete the furnishing. its defintely not cheap having to setup everything from scratch. So unless u already have a lot of items or buying the things to keep then maybe its better to get a furnished apartment?

You definitely overpaid on the apartment. You can easily get a 3-4 bedroom apartment in Salwa for 280-300/320KD. Paying the same for a two bedroom is outrageous. You can get a 2 bedroom in Salmiya for 200!

If you want cheap furniture, go to the Friday Market. You can get couch sets for 50KD and they're not that ugly either. But if you want something a little more posh, there are lots of furniture galleries, but they tend to get expensive with things like bookcases at 50kd/each.

Get your appliances from Al Ghanim. They are cheap to own with quality service to replace.

I have a medium sized fridge if you want it. Laughing
stokoe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zaina,

Can you give me some contact for the salwa apt? We have look around so many places but they always gave us such high prices.

3-bedroom in salwa for 300KD seems like a good deal. We are ok with 2 bedroom since there is only 2 of us.

Thanks
Myshkin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After an exhautive search we found a two-bedroom unfurnished with spacious rooms, pool, gym, and convenient location--for 350. (We wanted something close to the workplace, so we were choosy.)

There are places out there if you are prepared to do the legwork (and fight the traffic). We looked at a wonderful 2 bedroom furnished in Sabah Al-Salem that had top-notch furnishings, a pool, a gym, and a rec roo--all for 350KD/mo. Too far to commute for us, though. Of course, these places stay available for a very brief time, so you have to take the window of opportunity when it manifests.
Myshkin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, double post. Embarassed
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that you can delete double posts? There is a little X in the corner...
Myshkin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, veiledsentiments. I didn't know that.
stokoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Myshkin,

so which area are you settled in now?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: