Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your favourite European country...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Your favourite European country... Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know what the general feeling is among English teachers about the different European countries. I want to participate into a EU exchange program for teachers next year. I am particularly interested in teaching in "warm" country but not yet sure which one. I would get a grant from the EU, at the moment you receive about 550 Euros teaching 12-15 hrs in Spain & Greece, 600 euros in Italy, 500 euros in Portugal, and 700 euros in France. It's not that much Sad , so that why I'd like to know more about your experience living in those countries.

I can't choose the city/town myself, so it's a bit of a generalisation but which country do you think would offer me the most for those amounts of money? And what is your experience with the pupils in those countries (age 12- 17)? I am teaching in the Netherlands, and the pupils can be pretty difficult (I am not yet that experienced in keeping order Rolling Eyes etc). I am very interested in, for example, Greece but what about the language barrier? I wouldn't want to feel too isolated. I would love to hear all your opinions......... Very Happy
Seeker of truth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: EU Exchange program Reply with quote

Can you offer a weblink for more info. about this EU exchange program?
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the programme for Foreign Language Assistants ?

That was my introduction to TEFL. I went to Germany in 1968 to teach English in a German High School, under the auspices of the Scottish Education Department. In tose days you had to have an acceptable standard of spoken German. Given the lamentable state of Foreign Language Teaching in Scotland now, they have probably waived that requirement.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started off in Paris in 1973-1974. The pay was a lot better than the crap being offered now. No way can you live, even marginally comfortably on 550 euros a month in Spain, let alone 700 euros a month in Paris.
eo-nomine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way you can live on EUR 700 in Paris... accomodation alone will cost you at least EUR 450, that is, if you're very lucky and live in some remote part of the city or in the suburbs.
SueH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the Comenius program for language assistants which I came across the other day (although I may have the name wrong). The money referred to is not regarded as pay and is therefore not subject to tax and National Insurance. Also if you are only obliged to do 12-15 hours (and not necessarily in charge of a class) there would be opportunities for private work. The hourly rate certainly seemed to compare with private work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: