Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Bogazi�i Koleji" Scam Alert

View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Gordo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: "Bogazi�i Koleji" Scam Alert Reply with quote

I would like to warn readers that the advertisement from "Bogazi�i Koleji" which recently appeared on another TEFL site has all the hallmarks of a scam, probably perpetrated by the same con-artists as were responsible for the Cent Koleji scam a few weeks ago. The give-aways are:

Number of Positions: 15. Why would any school suddenly need 15 foreign English teachers?

Salary: USD 1900 - 2100. This is very high by Istanbul standards.

Address: The postcode is wrong. Postcodes in that part of Istanbul start with 80, not 34. (I presume the 30400 in the advertisement is a typing error for 34000.) Also, as far as I know Bogazi�i Koleji is on B�y�kdere Caddesi, not Cumhuriyet Caddesi (again spelt wrongly in the advertisement)

Telephone / Fax: As with "Cent Koleji", they give the same number for fax and phone. A large school such as this would have a separate fax number. Furthermore, a search on the online T�rk Telekom directory reveals that the number in the advertisement is allocated to Enkes�rl� Telefon M�d�rl�g�, Taksim. The number of the real Bogazi�i Koleji is listed as 212 285 2360.

I wouldn't mind betting that anyone who applies will be immediately offered a position and then asked for a few hundred dollars as a "visa processing fee". Of course, I could be wrong...
gelin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree with you. Cumhuriyet Cad. is in Harbiye, not Maslak. Steer clear of this place. Thanks ElGordo for bringing that to people's attention.
double agent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: more info on the scam how does it WORK Reply with quote

what i dont get it...do they ask you to
send moola or sumting...

how is it a scam

please explain Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
El Gordo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Double Agent. Read the threads "Paying for Work Permit", "Cent Koleji - Update" and "Beware!!! a Scam" on this board. It appears that the scam-artists post job advertisements using the name of a real school in Istanbul, but fake phone/fax numbers and addresses - in the case of Cent Koleji they even set up a fake website. When you phone the number given they offer you a job and then ask for USD 500 as a visa processing fee.
gelin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps double agent would like to contact the place and tell us what he learns? I'd be interested.
double agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Bogazici College SCAM OR REAL Reply with quote

Do you mean..this school ...
gelin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, isn't this the school we're talking about?
double agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Bogazici College Reply with quote

Bogazici College

This college_ ya i have seen their advertisement on tefl.com

Whats up if this is a SCAM why can�t they be stopped here and now.

NEVER PAY FOR ANYTHING. If they are recruiting you, they pay.
That is it. Twisted Evil Mad Mad Mad Twisted Evil
El Gordo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out, Double Agent, that Bogazi�i Koleji and �zel Cent Koleji are both reputable schools and it is not being suggested that they are in any way involved in the scam. The matter has already been reported to the authorities and I agree it should be fairly easy for them to do something - particularly since the con-artists give you a bank account number into which to pay the USD 500 - but then again, this is Turkey!
gelin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also means all job applicants should really be wary about any school that gets to post its recruitment ads for free. www.tefl.com is a freebie for schools. Shocked
double agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Are the LEGIT colleges mentioned here any good? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any info on the colleges mentioned
here, the LEGITIMATE ones_ ? How much do they pay,
do they offer TEFL or English teaching jobs _?

Wonder why they have been targeted? Interesting. Laughing
double agent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: any one heard from this college lately Reply with quote

Embarassed
any news of the scamdal ? Anyone have this
school try to hire them for the new semester...

Inquiry Minds need to know
fatgirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i actually applied to the school. I saw the ad and thought hmmmm 1900 to 2100?? why not. They do have a website, which looks somewhat professional. Anyway, i sent only my CV, and a few days latter I recieved a letter saying I was accepted. A bit strange since I only recieved this email, and never spoke with anyone let alone had an interview. My suspicions were confirmed at the bottom of the crudely written �acceptance form�they sent me with loads of typos, they asked to have 500 USD sent to them for processing fees. It seems they are not really trying anymore. Its is quite transparent and poorly done, but then again, I had already read the �BEWARE a scam� threads. Everyone, steer clear of this school!
double agent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Congradulations you have been accepted Reply with quote

* NOTE: Completed acceptance form should be sent to the Recruitment Officer along with a processing fee of US$500 which will cover the processing of working permit/papers, courier services, administrative cost e.t.c. Processing fees should be sent through Western Union Money Transfer to the Recruitment Officer, WESTHEAD LEO ANTHONY. All inquiries in respect of the processing of your application/working permit and other issues should be directed to the Registrar, BOGAZICI COLLEGE, Dr. Mrs. Pembe Baslar, Tel: + 90 212 253 14 03 or e-mail to [email protected], [email protected] Or Mr. Westhead Leo Anthony: 90 537 219 98 03.

This was in letter part 2 of the acceptance letters they SENT me.....
*beep*.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: