Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Indonesia with teenagers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyssa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Indonesia with teenagers Reply with quote

Hi

I am new to this board. I am forty six year old mother of two teenage boys. I have a Bachelor Degree, Graduate Diploma in Asian Studies and I will have a Graduate Diploma in TESOL by November ( I already have a TESOL certificate). I have very little teaching experience as my professional background is in journalism and public relations. I studied Bahasa for two years as part of my Asian Studies Diploma.

What I want to know is....what sort of visa does one get for an adult dependent child (he turns eighteen in January) say for three months. For my fifteen year old...what sort of schooling is there, apart from international schools? I would appreciate any in sights from people who have travelled in Asia with their children.

Do you think my Indonesian language skills will make it any easier for me to find a good job in Indonesia...I don't want to go to Jakarta, Surabaya or Medan...Bandung appeals, so does Bali, Bogor and Yogyakarta. What about jobs in Kalimantan?

Rolling Eyes
hairyrambutan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The immigration laws here are subject to constant change and never seem to be entirely rigid to begin with anyway, so I can only give you some rough information.

Your younger son should be okay for a visa if you're working here and he's going to school. Many of the 'national plus' schools in Jakarta have a good reputation. They are meant to be a cheaper alternative to international schools. As far as I know, expat children still aren't allowed to attend regular Indonesian school.

As for your older son. I believe that once a child here reaches the age of eighteen, he or she can no longer be sponsored by a parent. Your son must be working or studying to get a visa.

Your knowledge of Indonesian may become a real boon, as only the day before yesterday the newspaper published an article saying that the government is going to introduce a law making it mandatory for work permit applicants to pass an Indonesian proficiency test in order to obtain the permit. Whether this will really happen, or will happen without the usual corruption is difficult to say. Potentially, two thirds of the expats I know in this country would not be able to extend their work permits.

As for teaching purposes. You're not supposed to speak the local language in EFL classrooms, though some schools seem to think it's a bonus as they have a teacher better disposed to special needs students, i.e, very low level students or students who request a teacher fluent in Indonesian.
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hairyrambutan wrote:
Whether this will really happen, or will happen without the usual corruption is difficult to say. Potentially, two thirds of the expats I know in this country would not be able to extend their work permits.

I have every confidence that a couple of crisp 100ribu notes pressed into the sticky palm of the appropriate Dinas official will ensure success in such a test for any foreign teacher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: