Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Germany
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albulbul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Germany calling ! Reply with quote

Sometimes the news is not what we want to hear. I would love to teach in Germany, but have accepted the harsh reality that even with qualifications,experience, nationality from a EU member State and fluent German there is not much doing in Germany (or Austria or Switzerland.)

So I teach in the Middle East and visit Germany for my holidays !
astr0_b0y

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: ok.... Reply with quote

I appreciate the comments made about the difficulty of finding work in Germany. But regardless of how hard it will be to find a job, I am moving their to live with my partner and I will work anywhere I can.

So.....please do not post any further replies trying to convince me that it is hard or impossible to find a job. I realise now understand this point but the continous is not nessisary.

ph...and what is the name of that security irm in Frankfurt?

Matthew
prophetNZ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: My thoughts. Reply with quote

Hi Matthew,

I have been living in Mainz for the last two years. I will be honest and say it was not easy in the beginning in fact it was one of the hardest things I have ever done, though after two years I have become an old hand at the system and do pretty well. At present I know of quite a few companies here in Mainz and Wiesbaden who are looking to take on English teaching freelances. The idea of a contract is out of the question, but if you are open to working freelance fulltime with different companies, be prepared to travel a lot and live in a small apartment, then the after tax, BFA and Monats karte expences will give you quite a good income! How do I know this? Because I am doing it! The language is not an issue as long as you have a friend (or girlfriend) who is willing to help you with the paperwork for becoming legal in Germany. Make sure you do an intensive course at Volkhochschule in the beginning if you want to at least keep some kind of pride and personality in Germany, it is no fun following your girlfriend around like a sheep...

I don't know your visa situation, If you are under 30, get a work and travel visa with an allowance to work 90 days, then you can exchange it here for a freelance visa once you get some support from companies.

Anyway, I could go on for hours about living here... good luck and start saving now, you will need every penny.

Cheers,
prophetNZ
astr0_b0y

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that I should go to University to make freinds? or to study German? sorry.

Your message is a great help mate. It certainly sounds like my best option so far. I will have to give it a bit of thought though.
Because of the whole visa fiasco, its a big decision about what visa if any I get, because each choice has its own benefits and downfalls.

Although, if I could contact some of these companies you are refering too, then it would make my life much easier. so I guess I am asking...... could you provide me some of there contact details of these 'freelace' jobs.

Matt
Sadie25

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence astr0_b0y, but you shouldn't be teaching English, mate. Laughing
astr0_b0y

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: .......ok Reply with quote

Interesting......and why is that?
astr0
prophetNZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: For your information Reply with quote

astr0_b0y wrote:
Are you saying that I should go to University to make friends? or to study German? sorry.

Although, if I could contact some of these companies you are refering too, then it would make my life much easier.
Matt

What I was talking about is a government run school that teaches many things including German. In Mainz they do a 5 week, 20 units per week intensive beginner German course for around 206-euro.

http://www.vhs-mainz.de/dynamic/(nnxpkg55mgpdiraxolwcqcvq)/?top=1&nav=5&type=file-daf

I did the same and It really helped me as I was able to get acquainted with the language AND make some friends at the same time, though limited unless you can speak Arabic Wink

In regard to the English language schools, you NEED to be here to visit them. These schools get resumes every day and are only interested in responding to people who are able to be interviewed.

Thanks,
ProphetNZ
Sadie25

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: .......ok Reply with quote

astr0_b0y wrote:
Interesting......and why is that?
astr0

I'll give you some clues, grammar, syntax, spelling.
astr0_b0y

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prophetNZ.....That sounds like a pretty good idea, although, why do i need to speak Arabic?

and Sadie25, I can see your concern, but I asure you that my lack of grammar, syntax and spelling is the result of rushing to type messages, as the only time I can use a computer is at school where I teach primary school English and Maths..............Smile

Matt
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: why arabic ? Reply with quote

Why Arabic ? Obvious - becasue of the HUGE number of Arab students you find everywhere in Germany !
astr0_b0y

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: ......interesting. Reply with quote

oh. OK. thanks for htat, I had no idea! Well you learn something new every day......

I finally found somewhere to live in Mainz. It took 6 months, but it finally looks like things are falling together.

Thankyou to everyone who posted suggestions and personal reflections, I truely appreciate the help, advice and ideas. I feel I have learnt a great deal about Germany, German people/culture and a bit about the beurocracy.

I will keep an eye out for new posts over the next few weeks, and I will keep all those intersested up to date when I finally arrive in late November.

Matthew
jasonconga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: .......ok Reply with quote

Sadie25 wrote:

I'll give you some clues, grammar, syntax, spelling.

and what are the clues, that, you, comma, had, in, mind?

yawn.

First off, the internet is changing spelling and how seriously we take it. True, when looking for employment that deals purely with a language, a little more care should be given. Anyway...

I moved to germany from california to be with a partner and here's the deal:

*germans are certificate-crazy. go get a TEFL somewhere over a months' time in december, maybe either in berlin or in czech republic or somewhere cheap, come back and in january/feb/march many new classes are starting and you can probably get some work somewhere. I was daunted by it too but once you're there AND you have a TEFL certificate, all doors do not close in your face.

I think work in Germany is not like Asia but I have no experience there but what I mean is: I never work in a school with many other teachers teaching at the same time. I almost always go to a company or for the VHS doing night classes. Be confident, learn some of the language, especially some of the local dialect to show people that you are learning too and it's gonna be great.

I love it in Germany, have been teaching there almost 3 years and things are so good that I'm in California now for 3 weeks, gonna barbecue today, do some shopping after 8pm and watch some NFL baby!

good luck
astr0_b0y

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Cheers for the advice Reply with quote

Thanks mate, I appreciate the �deas and help. But in the end I took up ProphetNZ's idea and I am starting work as a freelance English teacher in MAINZ. I may be getting ahead of myself, because I do not have the job yet. I have had 2 interviews with berlitz school and the second went particularly well. If you like I will post if I get the job by Christmas. Very Happy

ProphetNZ I would love to hear from you again. If I could grab an email from you, that'd be fantastic!!

Cheers again all

Matt in MAINZ

p.s.
and Jasonconga, Thanx for the tips, I am planning to do a "culture/language" course in January.... To keep my pride intact. Oh.. and where in Germany do you live?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: