Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On a recce

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SueH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: On a recce Reply with quote

I'm going on a week's reconnaissance visit to Northern Italy at the end of this month to visit a small city/town I'm interested in. FYI the cost was GBP28, of which the actual air fare was 3 pence each way (!) - the rest tax and credit card charge.

My question is more to do with budgeting; I've looked into rents in the place I'm interested in and was wondering how much you can get the prices on-line reduced. I'll obviously get a better idea on the ground.
Also, when they ask for 'referenziati' - what sort of references are they looking for; from your bank stating income, or what?

Can anyone give me any likely figures for other living expenses. I appreciate these questions have been asked before, but given Italy's present economic situation up-to-date figures are always useful. Utilities, food, DSL, books, cheap laser printers; all those things a teacher would need...

I know the ever helpful TIR will answer this if she sees it, but other input from North of Rome would be appreciated. Incidentally TIR, if you see this can you Skype me sometime; it would be good to have a chat.

Sue
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - I'll try to Skype you (verb?!) later tonight!

But here are some other prices etc while I'm here!

printer - variable costs, but 100 euros gets you a standard one. We recently bought a very fancy one for 180 euros, but it's for printing quality photos etc and the colour resolution is incredible.

adsl: we pay around 35 euro a month with Telecom Italia for "Alice" service. It's 24 hr connection, and has only ever given us a problem twice. There are other useful non-adsl packages too: Alice 1 cent etc. Not everywhere has broadband access, and some people are still on either a dial up or extra ISDN line.

books: expensive. Apart from the strong pound exchange rate, you also pay vat in Italy. I'd be tempted to buy the books you need in the UK and bring them over.

utilities: this is what we pay monthly
electricity (around 100 euro every two months, but we have an electric water boiler, and this is expensive)
gas (around 10 euros a month, but we're on the network - bottled gas is more expensive)
communal garden and central heating (75 euro a month, 11 months of the year)
phone (around 100 euros every two months, including adsl, phone line rental and calls - we rarely use Telecom Italia for international calls as it's so expensive)

Where are you going Sue? You may find that some things are more expensive in the north.
John ELS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

That's about the same up north.
Referenziati are those who can prove they are reliable, won't destroy the place and above-all, leave when they're told to.
Renting out apartments is risky business in Italy.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, JohnELS.

We signed a rental contract with a private owner, and had our contract renewed for another two years. It's been a really good experience in that the landlady gets her rent on the nail, and she hasn't put up the rent in four years. Her previous tenants gave her hell, but I don't think she had an official contract with them. Although she's had to pay tax on the rent (or at least register it somewhere), she also has a fair amount of say over what happens, when we go and so on. At the end of the day, evicting someone would be as much hassle here as it is in the UK, I'd imagine.

BTW, how do you like Genoa? I thought it was a lovely city when I visited last year. I had one of the most memorable meals of my life (no exaggeration) in Le 3 merli (in the old quarter, but not far off the main street running down from the station). Digressing, but anyway, how is the work situation there?
John ELS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Hi,
I love Genoa. Next to the sea, not too hot, not too cold, good food, safe. The job market (TEFL) isn't so bad if you know where to look. Too many schools, most of them low quality.
Next time you come send me an email.
SueH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information guys (and the chat TIR); I hope it's also useful for others.

As I'm old enough and a foreigner with letters after my name - not that you ever use them in the UK - I think I can kid any landlord that I'm a persona seria and will leave when they ask. I'm also pensionata which should reassure them on the financial side (I needn't tell them how small it is).

I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks
Sue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: